7.447, Qs: Literacy acquisition, Mayan, Morpheme storage in the brain

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Mar 23 20:05:52 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-447. Sat Mar 23 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  103

Subject: 7.447, Qs: Literacy acquisition, Mayan, Morpheme storage in the brain

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Sat, 23 Mar 1996 10:08:36 CST
From:  umswains at cc.UManitoba.CA (Brook Swainson)
Subject:  Q: Rhyme and Alphabetic Systems

2)
Date:  Sat, 23 Mar 1996 14:59:08 -0400
From:  TPRATT at Upei.CA (Terry Pratt)
Subject:  seeking information on Mayan

3)
Date:  Fri, 15 Mar 1996 11:04:10 CST
From:  SNHERRARTE at Augustana.edu ("BARBARA HERRARTE (7397)")
Subject:        derivational vs. inflectional morphemes

Date:  Sat, 23 Mar 1996 10:08:36 CST
From:  umswains at cc.UManitoba.CA (Brook Swainson)

In the field of literacy acquisition, many researchers believe that
the ability to rhyme is a necessary precursor to acquiring literacy in
a language that uses an alphabetic orthography.

It has recently been suggested to me that such a view may be
linguacentric; that it may not be the case that all languages using
alphabetic writing systems implicitly develop pre-literate awareness
of rhyme through such means as nursery rhymes.

The majority of the literature that I have encountered has dealt with
the acquisition of literacy in English. Anecdotally, questioning of
native speakers of Italian, Greek, Spanish, Portuguese, and Icelandic
has informally established that nursery rhymes or rhyming word games
are introduced to children prior to formal literacy training. But is
rhyme a part of the early literacy socialization of *every* language
that uses an alphabetic writing system?

Thanks,

Brook Swainson
umswains at cc.umanitoba.ca