7.450, Qs: Adverb?, Grunts, Galicismos, Syntax book

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Mar 24 15:04:51 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-450. Sun Mar 24 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  119

Subject: 7.450, Qs: Adverb?, Grunts, Galicismos, Syntax book

Date:  Sat, 23 Mar 1996 21:27:37 EST
From:  jtj at handel.Princeton.EDU ("Judit J.Toth")
Subject:  adjective or adverb?

2)
Date:  Sat, 23 Mar 1996 20:36:42 CST
From:  jold at ai.ualr.edu (John Old)
Subject:  grunts and groans

3)
Date:  Sun, 24 Mar 1996 00:46:52 EST
From:   (Laird Pelzer)
Subject:  Re: GALICISMOS/COMPOSTELA

4)
Date:  Sun, 24 Mar 1996 00:35:36 CST
From:  rross at ucr.ac.cr (Ronald Ross Verdmark)
Subject:  LINGUISTIC BOOK IN SPANISH

Date:  Sat, 23 Mar 1996 21:27:37 EST
From:  jtj at handel.Princeton.EDU ("Judit J.Toth")

Dear Linguists,

I teach English in th U.S. and recently one of my students asked me to
discuss   the use of   adjectives  instead of  adverbs (especially  in
American English), as in:
"How are you?"-"Good"/"Well"
"Drive real slow"/"Drive really slowly".

I tried to dig into books, but I have not found a systematic treatment
of the  question.  Is there a   book, an article, or   a knowledgeable
linguist out  there   that could give  me  some  help?  I  would  need
something  that satisfies  a  "real advanced" student   with a lot  of
curiosity and language intelligence.

Hoping to hear from you,
Judit

| jtj at handel.princeton.edu  (J.Toth Judit) :-)|