7.458, Disc: Economy, Minimalism, and Formalism

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Mar 25 14:42:00 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-458. Mon Mar 25 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  150

Subject: 7.458, Disc: Economy, Minimalism, and Formalism

Date:  Fri, 22 Mar 1996 15:29:07 EST
From:  allegro at dns.bluesky.net (Stirling Newberry)
Subject:  Re: vol-7-440, Economy, Minimalism, and Formalism

2)
Date:  Sat, 23 Mar 1996 18:11:17 EST
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)
Subject:  Re:  7.440, Disc: Economy

3)
Date:  Mon, 25 Mar 1996 11:20:34 CST
From:  r.hudson at linguistics.ucl.ac.uk (Richard Hudson)
Subject:  RE: 7.440, Economy

Date:  Fri, 22 Mar 1996 15:29:07 EST
From:  allegro at dns.bluesky.net (Stirling Newberry)

In vol-7-440, Yehuda Falk writes:

>     Secondly, the concept of modularity/autonomy/... of the linguistic
>component, or subcomponents within it, does not contradict the idea that
>some general cognitive abilities may somehow come into play in language. I
>don't think there's any question that language is somehow tied to general
>cognition; however, the existence of formal properties unique to language
>provides the argument for some sort of modularity of the mind.

It does not seem clear that the premise of this statement is correct - if
the mind is modularized then there are *no* general cognitive modules or
abilities, merely combinations or patterns of modes that characterize
particular modes of thinking. Formal properties unique to language could
occur not out of sections of the brain unique to language, but of forms or
patterns of these sections unique to langauge. If we see over time that
every section of the brain used in language is also used in other thought
modes then we should expect to see formal properties unique to language
that are not based on single modes activity but in the result of the
message passing behavior between two or more of them.

Since the shift from one mode to another involves nessesarily an overlap of
function, since one is triggered by activity in common with another, the
most likely source for unique linguistic properties would be Xaotic
interaction between two more more thought modes.

Stirling Newberry               allegro at bluesky.net

"The true artist has no pride, for he realizes that art's demands are
limitless, and though he may be admired or praised by others, he sees only
darkly how far he is from his goal, when a greater inspiration shall shine
before him like a distant sun."
Ludwig van Beethoven