7.468, All: LINGUIST Fellowship (Last Call)

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Mar 27 17:30:50 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-468. Wed Mar 27 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  85

Subject: 7.468, All: LINGUIST Fellowship (Last Call)

Editor for this issue: hdry at emunix.emich.edu (Helen Dry)

Date:  Wed, 27 Mar 1996 11:22:10 CST
From:  hdry at uts.cc.utexas.edu (Helen Dry)
Subject:  fellowship announcement

Date:  Wed, 27 Mar 1996 11:22:10 CST
From:  hdry at uts.cc.utexas.edu (Helen Dry)

LAST CALL:  LINGUIST FELLOWSHIP

As some of you know, Ljuba Veselinova finishes her degree this
summer.  So we are seeking applications for the LINGUIST
Fellowship at Eastern Michigan U.

Although the deadline is March 31, we can give you a few
days grace period to get in your application materials,
if you have contacted us via email by the 31st.

The LINGUIST fellowships are funded by contributions
to the LINGUIST Development Fund; and the recipient
is expected to work for approximately 15 hours a week
during the award period (Fall 1996 through Summer 1997) as
Assistant Editor of LINGUIST.  The recipient receives a
tuition waiver for 15 hours of graduate classes (5
semester-long courses) and at least $4000 in financial
support.

Since the tuition waiver is offered by the EMU graduate
dean, the recipient must be a degree-seeking student at
Eastern Michigan U.  EMU offers a general linguistics
curriculum leading to a Master of Arts degree in English
Linguistics.  A program description is available at:
Eastern Michigan U. is situated in Ypsilanti, MI,
about 5 miles from Ann Arbor, in a very active
linguistics community.  Surrounding schools include
U. of Michigan, Wayne State U., Michigan State U.,
and U. of Toledo.  Inquiries and requests
for application materials should be addressed to:

       Prof. Daniel T. Seely
       Graduate Advisor in Linguistics
       Eastern Michigan University
       Ypsilanti, MI  48197
       USA

       (email:  dseely at emunix.emich.edu)

Fellowship recipients gain experience in the use of
the UNIX utilities, electronic mail, and WWW functions
(HTML, CGI, etc.).  In addition, they make numerous
professional contacts and, we believe, learn more about
linguistics by reading and participating in discussions.

Though LINGUIST is based in the USA, applications from other
countries are encouraged, since we consider it an advantage
to have a staff which reflects the international character
of the list.