7.474, Qs: Dates, C Harmony, Discussant, -ing, Bilingualism

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Mar 28 15:56:19 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-474. Thu Mar 28 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  238

Subject: 7.474, Qs: Dates, C Harmony, Discussant, -ing, Bilingualism

Date:  Sun, 24 Mar 1996 11:13:05
From:  robertb at doruk.com.tr (Robert Bragner)
Subject:  Dates and names containing dates in English

2)
Date:  Wed, 27 Mar 1996 13:55:01 EST
From:  gafos at vonneumann.cog.jhu.edu (Adamantios Gafos)
Subject:  Consonant Harmony

3)
Date:  Wed, 27 Mar 1996 17:47:59 CST
From:  susan at utafll.uta.edu (Susan Herring)
Subject:  dicussant needed for panel on Computer-Mediated Conversation

4)
Date:  Thu, 28 Mar 1996 09:28:38 EST
From:  CXJU at MUSICA.MCGILL.CA (Julie Auger)
Subject:  (ing)

5)
Date:  Thu, 28 Mar 1996 10:39:40 -0400
From:  ntorres at europa.ica.luz.ve ("Profa. Nancy Torres")
Subject:  Bilingualism

Date:  Sun, 24 Mar 1996 11:13:05
From:  robertb at doruk.com.tr (Robert Bragner)

 I'm conducting survey of how speakers of English pronounce dates
 and names containing dates. I'd appreciate it if members
 of the LINGUIST list would respond to the following using words
 spelled with letters only and no numerals. For example, the
 response to "The name of one of George Orwell's best-known
 novels is `{1984}'" would be written as out "nineteen
 eighty-four". In replying you need only spell out what is
 contained in the {braces}. As a context, imagine yourself
 speaking these phrases in ordinary conversation or perhaps in
 the course of a lecture.

 Please reply only to my e-mail address:

                    <robertb at doruk.com.tr>.

 and not to the list.

 Note: For convenience I will be citing dates in thei "International
 English" format (ie cardinal day-number/month-name/year).
 Be sure not to let this influence your response if you naturally use
 some other format and/or ordinal numbers in such contexts.

 Here are the sentences:

=== 8< snip! ====================================================

 1. The Louisiana Purchase took place on {30 April 1803}

 2. Charlemagne was crowned emperor by Pope Leo on {25 December
    800}.

 3. The Treaty of Ildefonso was signed on {1 October 1800}.

 2. "{1066} and All That" is the title of a humorous book.

 3. The thousandth anniversary of the Norman invasion will be
    held in {2066}.

 4. "{1941}" was directed by Steven Spielberg and starred Dan
    Aykroyd.

 5. {1900} was not a leap year but {2000} will be.

 6. Ken Harrison's film "{1918}" is derived from Horton Foote's
    cycle of nine plays called "The Orphans' Home".

 7. In an alliance with Sihtric in {1000}, Brian invaded
    Conn's Half.

 8. Christopher Columbus first reached the Bahamas in October
    {1492}.

 9. Stanley Kubrick's "{2001}: A Space Odyssey" is based on a
    short story by Arthur Clarke. Its follow-up "{2010}" was less
    successful.

10. The 20th century began on {1 January 1901}.

 Thanks in advance for your attention and help. If there is
 sufficient interest and response, I'll compile and post my
 findings to the list. Any thoughts or comments you might wish to
 express on this subject would also be welcome.

 Regards,
 Robert
 <robertb at doruk.com.tr>