7.477, Qs: Spanish, Films/Videos, Bibliogrpahy on Theme/Topic

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Mar 29 01:21:51 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-477. Thu Mar 28 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  133

Subject: 7.477, Qs: Spanish, Films/Videos, Bibliogrpahy on Theme/Topic

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Thu, 28 Mar 1996 10:49:22 EST
From:  kozonoj at gunet.georgetown.edu (Joseph Kozono)
Subject:   Spanish articles with letters

2)
Date:  Wed, 27 Mar 1996 21:49:44 EST
From:  escatton at cnsvax.albany.edu (Ernest Scatton)
Subject:  Films/Videos

3)
Date:  Thu, 28 Mar 1996 19:38:41 +0100
From:  iadimly at usc.es (Maria A. Gomez)
Subject:  bibliografy on Theme/Topic

Date:  Thu, 28 Mar 1996 10:49:22 EST
From:  kozonoj at gunet.georgetown.edu (Joseph Kozono)

In an conversation with a colleage of mine, the following question
arose:

If one were to refer to letters and consonants in Spanish, the article
is usually omited.  Thus, one could say, "En en aleman bajo, "h" en
"th" es muda pero afecta "t" de tal manera que se pronuncia como "d"
en Castellano".

Since Spanish is not really my area of expertise, if this sentence is
faulty, I apologize.  The question we had yesterday was: if we would
like to use the article, how does one determine the "gender" of the
letters. Can one say "la H" or "el H" or the article is definitely
out?  Any literature on this topic?

Joseph M Kozono