7.644, Misc: Lang and movies, English textbooks in ling

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed May 1 20:12:09 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-644. Wed May 1 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  78

Subject: 7.644, Misc: Lang and movies, English textbooks in ling

Date:  Sat, 27 Apr 1996 14:14:35 EDT
From:  rowe at email.unc.edu (Charles Rowe)
Subject:  Re: 7.577, disc: lang and movies

2)
Date:  Thu, 25 Apr 1996 19:38:53 -1000
From:  rjacobs at hawaii.edu (Roderick A. Jacobs)
Subject:  Re: 7.620, Sum: English Textbooks in Linguistics

Date:  Sat, 27 Apr 1996 14:14:35 EDT
From:  rowe at email.unc.edu (Charles Rowe)

Now, regarding the SPEECH STYLE of movie actors of the 30's/40's:

The thinking is--and I have that from a colleague at
Wash.U./St.Louis--that actors were trained to use British [film/radio]
diction of the same era. The best natural model for that style in the
US anyway was(is) to be found in New England. So, best I recall, the
US version of that diction style is a combination of the most general
New England phonetic features and the British received
pronunciation. I can probably locate the bibliography, if anyone is
interested. (I will acknowledge my colleague appropriately as well,
pending her permission!  Will check on that...!).  C.Rowe p.s. This
diction--as well as a "highly-superposed" version of it-- was used in
songs of that era as well.