7.660, Disc: Ungrammaticality

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun May 5 18:44:10 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-660. Sun May 5 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  145

Subject: 7.660, Disc: Ungrammaticality

Date:  Tue, 30 Apr 1996 12:45:32 EDT
From:  kvt at husc.harvard.edu (Karl Teeter)
Subject:  In self-defense, bis (or ter) ungrammaticality

2)
Date:  Fri, 03 May 1996 14:24:02 EDT
From:  sstraigh at bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu ("H Stephen Straight (Binghamton Uni
versity, SUNY)")
Subject:  Disc: Ungrammaticality and the Myth of G

Date:  Tue, 30 Apr 1996 12:45:32 EDT
From:  kvt at husc.harvard.edu (Karl Teeter)

Dear Benji: Thanks a lot for your message and questions.  I do try to
keep track of my mistakes and lapses, commoner since I turned 67, such as
failing to recognize early in this very same discussion that "the happy
scissors" is perfectly grammatical. But I don't mind my
mistakes and lapses as much as I mind being obscure, and that seems to be
my latest sin here.

	 Most actual utterances are ungrammatical.  Most utterances, of
course, are grunts, groans, sighs, and the like. Furthermore, you are
right in emphasizing Bloomfield's point that no two utterances are ever the
same in the real world.  This, of course, makes the enterprise of grammar
impossible, unless we are willing to become structuralists, which
Bloomfield makes possible by asserting that we must assume that "some
utterances are the same" (this is an assumption, since we know it to be
false). To Bloomfield, good physicalist that he was, no two
utterances are in fact the same, but we know we are aiming at grammar, and
hence this becomes the fundamental assumption of linguistics, the
philosophical assumption that linguistics is possible even if impossible
as a physical science.
		Sorry, Benji and friends, perhaps it was Bloomfield that
was being obscure and not me, but when Bloomfield got portentous enough
to call something the "fundamental assumption of linguistics" he was being
deeply serious and we'd better believe it!  His "fundamental assumption"
is in fact the bedrock for structural linguistics and structuralism in
general.  I could go on and on, but won't unless asked.  Yours, kvt