7.662, Disc: "terrible" emphasis, Thou and You, Lg-Movies

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon May 6 13:10:53 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-662. Mon May 6 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  162

Subject: 7.662, Disc: "terrible" emphasis, Thou and You, Lg-Movies

Date:  Sat, 04 May 1996 12:05:53 CDT
From:  jkonopak at uoknor.edu (John Konopak)
Subject:  Re: 7.654, Sum: "terrible" emphasis

2)
Date:  Mon, 06 May 1996 09:54:02 BST
From:  dag.gundersen at inl.uio.no (Dag Gundersen)

3)
Date:  Mon, 29 Apr 1996 10:56:42 BST
From:  firth at hum.auc.dk (Alan Firth)
Subject:  Thou and You; Quakers

4)
Date:  Thu, 02 May 1996 15:27:39 -0000
From:  P.Woods at dcs.shef.ac.uk (Paul Woods)
Subject:  Re: 7.648, Disc: Language and Movies - Small Correction

Date:  Sat, 04 May 1996 12:05:53 CDT
From:  jkonopak at uoknor.edu (John Konopak)

        Just a thought: I wonder if the pervasiveness of the formulation
doesn't have something to do with permeability of local, subjected speech
forms to what might be considered linguistic "colonization." Is there some
way to determine the "authenticity" of the trope? Is there any kind of
"etymotropology" (what a terribly interesting neologism?) that might yield a
source for these examples in languages/speech outside the dominant,
first-world syntagm? Just wondering?

		John Konopak
		The University of Oklahoma
		EDUC/ILAC