7.663, Jobs: Corrected announcement-UCLA

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon May 6 13:20:28 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-663. Mon May 6 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  123

Subject: 7.663, Jobs: Corrected announcement-UCLA

Date:  Thu, 02 May 1996 13:23:00 PDT
From:  IML7TIM at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU (Tim Stowell                         )
Subject:  UCLA Jobs/Temporary (96-97)CORRECTION!

Date:  Thu, 02 May 1996 13:23:00 PDT
From:  IML7TIM at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU (Tim Stowell                         )

CORRECTED VERSION OF JOB ANNOUNCEMENT

The UCLA Department of Linguistics expects to have several
short-term jobs available teaching various courses next year.
These are all replacement positions, for faculty who are on
leave. Some of the courses that need to be taught are
undergraduate classes, while others are graduate classes.
The courses to be taught are diverse, including (a) several courses
in syntax at ALL levels, (b) undergraduate phonetics, and (c) a
lower-division  undergraduate course surveying languages
currently spoken in the United States. In addition, we MAY be
interested in having visitors teach (a) a survey course on African
langauges and (b) psycholinguistics.

Finally, we will be interested in having visitors teach (or
co-teach) advanced graduate courses in a variety of areas, including
(but not necessarily limited to) syntax, phonology, structure of
a particular language or language family, and formal language theory.
For these advanced graduate courses, we are primarily interested in
hiring relatively senior people with established reputations (e.g.
people who are on leave and who are interested in visiting UCLA),
though more junior applicants will also be considered.

Because we have an unusually large number of courses available
for visitors to teach next year (8 or 9), we are at present
quite flexible in terms of the type and level of appointments.
In particular, we may be interested in hiring some people for
single-course lectureships (paying in the neighborhood of $6,700
to $10,000 per course, depending on seniority); we may also be
interested in making full-time appointments for periods of one or
two terms, with a courseload of 2 courses per term, and pay
levels per course roughly comparable to those mentioned above.
We may also consider making term appointments with less than
full-time teaching loads (e.g. teaching one course and
co-teaching another).

These visiting positions are not restricted as to rank. We are
especially interested in hiring faculty from other
universities who plan to be on leave during (part of) the coming
academic year and who may be interested in visiting our
department for part of the year and teaching a course (or two)
while they are here. Scholars who have recently completed their
Ph.D.'s (or who will have done so prior to coming to UCLA)

The courses that NEED to be taught in particular quarters include
the following:

(Fall 1996: late September to mid-December)
Ling 103-- Undergrad Introduction to Phonetics
Ling 216-- Advanced Graduate Syntax: Binding and Logical Form

(Winter 1997 -- January-March)
Ling 127-- Undergrad Syntactic Typology

(Spring 1997 -- April-June)
Ling 2-- Language in the United States (Survey of Languages Spoken in the USA)
Ling 165B-- Advanced Undergrad Syntactic Theory

(Courses that MIGHT be taught by a visitor in any quarter, possibly in
addition to one of the above:)
Ling M115-- Survey of African Languages
Ling 120B-- Undergrad Intro to Syntactic Analysis
Ling 225-- Linguistic Structures (Phonology &/or Grammar of a Particular
           Language or Language Family
Ling 251-- Graduate Proseminar in Phonetics and Phonology (Current Research)
Ling 252-- Graduate Proseminar in Syntax and Semantics (Current Research)

Each course runs for ten weeks (with two 2-hour lectures per
week) followed by an exam week.

Applicants should send a letter of application, including a CV,
a statement of previous teaching experience, as well as the
names, addresses, and phone numbers of three recommenders to:
     Tim Stowell (Chair), Department of Linguistics, UCLA,
     Los Angeles, CA 90095-1543.
(Actual letters of recommendation should NOT be sent at this
time; likewise candidates should not send voluminous dossiers of
publications, etc.)

Applications for fall quarter courses should be received by May
22 1996, and applications for winter and spring quarter courses
should be received by June 3 1996, though late applications will
also be considered as long as the positions remain unfilled.

Potential applicants  are strongly encouraged to inform us by e-mail,
as soon as possible, of their intention to apply for these positions.
Initial enquiries by email may be directed to Tim Stowell
(stowell at ucla.edu) or to Anna Meyer (meyer at humnet.ucla.edu).

UCLA Is an Equal Opportunity Employer.