7.668, Disc: Lg-movies, Millenium, Grammatical gender

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue May 7 13:25:55 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-668. Tue May 7 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  143

Subject: 7.668, Disc: Lg-movies, Millenium, Grammatical gender

Date:  Tue, 07 May 1996 00:04:00 PDT
From:  IBENAWJ at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU (benji wald                          )
Subject:  movies

2)
Date:  Tue, 07 May 1996 09:40:23 BST
From:  dag.gundersen at inl.uio.no (Dag Gundersen)
Subject:  Re: 7.664 (2), Qs: Millenium

3)
Date:  Sun, 05 May 1996 19:53:24 CST
From:  ormsby at servidor.dgsca.unam.mx ("Ormsby Lowry Harold-CELE")
Subject:  Re: 7.661, Disc: Grammatical Gender

4)
Date:  Mon, 06 May 1996 07:53:40 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)

Date:  Tue, 07 May 1996 00:04:00 PDT
From:  IBENAWJ at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU (benji wald                          )

Paul Wood's gracious correction of my error is appreciated.  For the
correction, I meant "Nottingham".  This is where the action in the
Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner takes place, and is Midlands,
like Birmingham.  I was vaguely aware I was mixing something up, because
I was thinking "Sheriff".  Well, that's Robin Hood's nemesis, the Sheriff
of Nottingham.  Somehow I came out with Sheffield from that.  His last
point is worth noting too.  He wouldn't mind being mistaken for an Aussie.
But for most Northerners (and Midlanders) that would actually be inconceivable,
like being mistaken for a Londoner.