7.669, Qs: Syntax, Grammar, Control, Sanskrit

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue May 7 13:31:38 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-669. Tue May 7 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  134

Subject: 7.669, Qs: Syntax, Grammar, Control, Sanskrit

Date:  Mon, 06 May 1996 16:46:28 EDT
From:  decaen at chass.utoronto.ca (Vincent DeCaen)
Subject:  theory-neutral syntax?

2)
Date:  Mon, 06 May 1996 16:48:17 CDT
From:  jph34136 at kestrel.tamucc.edu (james patrick hesse)
Subject:  grammar

3)
Date:  Tue, 07 May 1996 14:07:33 BST
From:  k.e.kristoffersen at inl.uio.no (Kristian Emil Kristoffersen)
Subject:  Query: Control bibliography

4)
Date:  Tue, 07 May 1996 08:18:50 CDT
From:  KozonoJ at gunet.georgetown.edu (Joseph Kozono)
Subject:   Sanskrit in Chinese?

Date:  Mon, 06 May 1996 16:46:28 EDT
From:  decaen at chass.utoronto.ca (Vincent DeCaen)

I'm seeking input for a discussion paper (and so of course will fully
acknowledge that input), looking at the problem of "theory-neutral"
syntactic "tagging" (SGML) of the Hebrew Bible.  I think it should be
framed in terms of a "minimal" tagging: what absolutely must be in the
representation to be useful as a database for syntactic analysis?
Also, I think it must somehow account for both the "formalist" and
"functionalist" approaches:  perhaps a minimal X-bar parsing and
simultaneous marking for minimal functions (subject, object, etc).
I'm thinking that a suitably pared down combination of Gov-Binding
structures and Functional Grammar tags might do the job. (N.B., the
database will already have the "words" parsed for features.....).

in any case, the problems are challenging, and I invite discussion.
I'll be more than grateful for recent bibliography in this area as
well, especially relating to similar tagging and similar databases.

Vincent DeCaen <decaen at chass.utoronto.ca>
Hebrew Syntax Encoding Initiative
	http://www.chass.utoronto.ca:8080/~decaen/hsei/intro.html
c/o Dept of Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations
University of Toronto