7.677, Qs: Influence of English, Pragmatics, IE list, ESL Survey

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri May 10 12:18:21 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-677. Fri May 10 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  152

Subject: 7.677, Qs: Influence of English, Pragmatics, IE list, ESL Survey

Editor for this issue: avaldez at emunix.emich.edu (Annemarie Valdez)

Date:  Thu, 03 Jan 0100 08:35:06
From:  monteiro at monza.u-strasbg.fr (Stephane)
Subject:  Influence of English

2)
Date:  Thu, 09 May 1996 08:05:00 +0700
From:  debra at aztec.co.za (Debra Aarons)
Subject:  literary pragmatics

3)
Date:  Thu, 09 May 1996 00:09:54 CDT
From:  rmccalli at sunmuw1.muw.edu (Rick Mc Callister)
Subject:  Demise of the IE list

4)
Date:  Wed, 08 May 1996 21:55:26 PDT
From:  parma at seattleu.edu ("Parma A. O'Bar")
Subject:  U.S. REGIONAL DIALECT SURVEY

Date:  Thu, 03 Jan 0100 08:35:06
From:  monteiro at monza.u-strasbg.fr (Stephane)

I am doing a research project on the attitudes of French speakers to
the influx of English vocabulary on the language: is it a necessity,
is it a danger, should it be prevented etc. etc. etc. I should be very
interested to compare the attitude of the French and that of other
linguistic communities, of all languages, so this is a general
plea. If your native tongue is not English, or if you know a
non-English speaking society/culture very well, I should be grateful
for any thoughts you might have on the matter. Do your compatriots, on
the whole, attempt to stem the flow of English, or is it open house?
How much is any attempt to reduce anglicisms tied up with concerns
about Anglo-Saxon cultural hegemony (movies, Internet etc.)? Is there
a difference between generations in this respect? Thanks for any
information you could supply