7.690, Qs: E-mail,"Streak", Applied, Dative/Essive, Discourse

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue May 14 04:46:02 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-690. Mon May 13 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  191

Subject: 7.690, Qs: E-mail,"Streak", Applied, Dative/Essive, Discourse

Editor for this issue: avaldez at emunix.emich.edu (Annemarie Valdez)

Date:  Sat, 11 May 1996 10:29:14 +0900
From:  tsuguya at gol.com (Tsuguya Sasaki)
Subject:  E-mail in languages using non-Roman characters

2)
Date:  Sat, 11 May 1996 12:10:02 MDT
From:  hcannon at macalstr.edu (Heather Cannon)
Subject:  etymology of "streak"

3)
Date:  Sun, 12 May 1996 14:24:55 EDT
From:  ap120 at columbia.edu (Apisak  Pupipat)
Subject:  Applied Ling

4)
Date:  Mon, 13 May 1996 15:04:46 +0200
From:  kiefer at nytud.hu (kiefer)
Subject:  Dative and Essive

5)
Date:  Mon, 13 May 1996 11:46:10 GMT
From:  104LYN at muse.arts.wits.ac.za ("M. Lynne Murphy")
Subject:        Q: discourse completion test text

Date:  Sat, 11 May 1996 10:29:14 +0900
From:  tsuguya at gol.com (Tsuguya Sasaki)

Dear linguists,

We, some Hebraishts-cum-Yiddishists in the cyberspace, are discussing
= about and searching for the best way to send and receive e-mail in =
Yiddish using Hebrew characters (including all diacritical marks =
specific to Yiddish). For the time being we are exchanging our
messages = in Romanized Yiddish.

We are interested to know how other less-known languages which use =
non-Roman characters are struggling with the problem of sending and =
receiving e-mail in their original characters. I should be grateful if
= you would inform us of the state of the art in your language(s). I
will = report about the answers here after a while.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Tsuguya Sasaki
Doctoral Student, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Research Fellow, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (Kyoto =
University)
tsuguya at gol.com