7.701, Qs: Comparison, Cree, London Jewish Speech, Spanish

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu May 16 15:45:46 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-701. Thu May 16 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  131

Subject: 7.701, Qs: Comparison, Cree, London Jewish Speech, Spanish

Editor for this issue: aristar at tam2000.tamu.edu (Anthony Rodrigues Aristar)

Date:  Tue, 14 May 1996 13:47:46
From:  mariam at mpce.mq.edu.au (Maria Milosavljevic)
Subject:  Linguistic Analysis of Comparisons

2)
Date:  Tue, 14 May 1996 18:21:19 CDT
From:  umbarri0 at cc.UManitoba.CA (Michael Jonathan Mathew Barrie)
Subject:  Re: modals in Plains Cree

3)
Date:  Thu, 16 May 1996 09:19:39 CDT
From:  JACJEM16 at delphi.com
Subject:  Jewish Accent

4)
Date:  Thu, 16 May 1996 10:30:33 EDT
From:  jharris at MIT.EDU
Subject:  por favor ayude-me-n

Date:  Tue, 14 May 1996 13:47:46
From:  mariam at mpce.mq.edu.au (Maria Milosavljevic)

Hi.

For my PhD research, I'm building a computational mechanism for the
generation of descriptions of entities, where those descriptions make
use of comparison.  In order to do this, I need to build a theory
of how comparisons work and are realised in text.  I'm aware of
Tversky's work on similarity, and I know what's been done in the area
of natural language processing, but I'm wondering what work there has
been in the analysis of the various forms of comparison from a purely
linguistic perspective.  Some examples of the different kinds of
comparisons I'm interested in are:

(1)	Sheep, are hollow-horned ruminants belonging to the genus
	Ovis, suborder Ruminata, family Bovidae.  Similar to goats,
	sheep differ in their stockier bodies, the presence of scent
	glands in face and hind feet, and the absence of beards in the
	males.  Domesticated sheep are also more timid and prefer to
	flock and follow a leader.

(2)	They (Aye-aye) are about the size of a large cat and have
	long, bushy tails, a shaggy brown coat, and large ears.

(3)	Dolphins, like whales, breathe through a blowhole at the top
	of the head.

Any pointers to relevant literature would be most gratefully received.

Maria Milosavljevic
- -
Research Fellow, MRI Language Technology Group
Department of Computing, Macquarie University
Sydney  NSW  2109  Australia
mariam at mpce.mq.edu.au   http://www-comp.mpce.mq.edu.au/~mariam