7.704, Sum: Language in Recipes

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu May 16 15:57:09 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-704. Thu May 16 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  72

Subject: 7.704, Sum: Language in Recipes

Editor for this issue: aristar at tam2000.tamu.edu (Anthony Rodrigues Aristar)

Date:  Tue, 14 May 1996 18:46:31 +0200
From:  iaevi at usc.es (elisa vazquez iglesias)
Subject:  Sum: language in recipes

Date:  Tue, 14 May 1996 18:46:31 +0200
From:  iaevi at usc.es (elisa vazquez iglesias)

Dear linguists,

First, I would like to thank those linguists who replied to my posting and
provided me with useful comments: Brunette Louise, Jane A.Edwards, Marian
Shapley, Karl-Michael Schneider, Mark Mandel, Chris Culy, Tim Stowell,
Antoine Lonnet, Neal Norrick, Mauro Ruggirello, And Rosta, Gabi Fiedler,
Sandra Golstein, Max Wheeler, Sharon Rose, Peter Daniels and Dorothy Disterheft
.

For anyone interested in the language of recipes, these are the main
references that I have been sent:

Haegeman, L.1987. Register variation in English: Some theoretical
information". Journal of English Linguistics 20.2 : 230-248

Hopper, P.J and Sandra Thompson.1980. Transitivity in grammar and
discourse, Language 56 : 251-299.

Massam, D.1987. Middles, tough, and recipe context constructions in
English, NELS 18:315-322.

Massam, D.1992. Null objects and non-thematic subjects, JL 28:115-137.

Massam and Roberge.1989. "Recipe Context Null Objects", LI 20.1

Norrick, N. "Recipes as texts: Technical language in the kitchen",
SPRACHE, DISKURS UND TEXT, ed. R.Jongen et al, Tuebingen, Niemeyer.

Norrick, N. 1983. "Technical instructions", All kinds of English,
ed.H.J.Diller et al., Heidelberg.

Sadock, J. 1974. CLS 10

Thank you for your help.

		Elisa Vazquez Iglesias