LINGUIST How-To's: May 14, 1996 (REV)

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun May 19 05:27:36 UTC 1996

                                       File last changed: May 14, 1996

The following message describes how to do things on LINGUIST.  We send
this out every so often so that it will be available through the same
channel as the messages. It will always appear without a volume number
and with the subject line "LINGUIST How-To's" followed by the date of
the latest update, and the annotation (REV) if the file has been
changed since the last posting, and (UNREV) if it has not. Change bars
(|) along the left margin mark these modified sections.]

  NOTE:  LINGUIST is now also available through World Wide Web.
         You can find it at the following URLs:

   Main Site: http://www.emich.edu/~linguist/issues/html
|  German Mirror: http://www.sfs.nphil.uni-tuebingen.de/linguist/issues/html

	We also keep informational pages which you can access
	through the Web. These include links to datasources on
	the Web and listings of currently advertised jobs. These
	are kept at three sites:

|   http://www.emich.edu/~linguist/
|   http://engserve.tamu.edu/files/linguistics/linguist/
|   http://www.sfs.nphil.uni-tuebingen.de/linguist/

     			IMPORTANT:
	If you decide to read LINGUIST on WWW rather
        than by mail, do not simply unsubscribe. This
        will deprive you of access to the Listserv,
        and you will not be able to get files.
        Instead, set your subscription to nomail.

| If you have a personal WWW page, please use LINGUIST's online
| registration utility at the URL:
|
| http://engserve.tamu.edu/files/linguistics/linguist/adds/addpers.html
|
| so other linguists can find it.

| A hypertext version of this file is available on the Web at the URL:
|
| http://engserve.tamu.edu/files/linguistics/linguist/howto.html

			NOTE

If you're receiving LINGUIST yet your messages to the
Listserv are rejected, check to see if your address has
recently changed. Mail will often continue to reach you
under your old address, but the Listserv will not recognize
your new address on incoming messages.

                        ------------------------------

Below follows a short summary of the items included in this
HOW-TO file. Should you need help with anything related to
LINGUIST that is not listed here, please do not hesitate to
contact us. Our addresses are given under 17).

1) Subscribe to linguist
2) Temporarily stop receiving linguist
3) Restart linguist after having set yourself to "nomail"
4) Permanently remove yourself from the list
5) Change your address
6) Find out why you aren't getting linguist
7) Get the listserv to correct your name
8) Get the names and e-mail addresses of linguist subscribers
9) Join in the linguist discussion
10) Retrieve a file from the listserv
11) Put a file on the listserv
12) Get a back issue of linguist
13) Get LINGUIST back-issues on the web
14) Get the listserv to cooperate when it hasn't so far
15) Set topics for your subscription
16) Set your subscription to digest
17) Get extra help with any of the above

1) SUBSCRIBE TO LINGUIST:
Send a message to:	Listserv at tamvm1.tamu.edu

The message should consist of the following line only:

subscribe linguist firstname lastname
Ex: subscribe linguist Jane Doe

2) TEMPORARILY STOP RECEIVING LINGUIST:
Send a message to:	Listserv at tamvm1.tamu.edu

The message should consist of the following line only:

set linguist nomail

You might do this if, for example, you are going on vacation
for a few weeks.  When you return, simply do (3) below.

3) RESTART LINGUIST AFTER HAVING SET YOURSELF TO "NOMAIL":
Send a message to:	Listserv at tamvm1.tamu.edu

The message should consist of the following line only:

set linguist mail

4) PERMANENTLY REMOVE YOURSELF FROM THE LIST:
Send a message to:	Listserv at tamvm1.tamu.edu

The message should consist of the following line only:
unsub linguist

5) CHANGE YOUR ADDRESS:
Log on to your OLD account.
Send a message to:	Listserv at tamvm1.tamu.edu

The message should consist of the following line only:

unsub linguist

Now, log on to your NEW account.
Send to the same address the message:

subscribe linguist firstname lastname

If you no longer have access to your old account, subscribe
from your new account as described above, and ask one of the
editorial staff to remove your old address manually.

6) FIND OUT WHY YOU AREN'T GETTING LINGUIST:
Send a message to:	Listserv at tamvm1.tamu.edu

The message should consist of the following line only:

query linguist

This will tell you the status of your own subscription.

If you find you've been set to Nomail, you can restart your
subscription by following (3) above.

If you find that the Listserv has no record of you, simply
resubscribe by following (1) above. (Your subscription may
have been deleted because messages were bouncing from the
address you gave us, and we weren't able to contact you.)

7) GET THE LISTSERV TO CORRECT YOUR NAME:
Send a "subscribe" command as described in (1).

Listserv treats a "subscribe"command from someone who is
already subscribed to the list as a name change request.

8) GET THE NAMES AND E-MAIL ADDRESSES OF LINGUIST SUBSCRIBERS:
Send a message to:	Listserv at tamvm1.tamu.edu

The message should consist of the single line:

review linguist

If you wish to receive a list which is categorized by
country, send the following message:

review linguist by country

If you wish to receive an alphabetized list send the
following message:

review linguist by name

9) JOIN IN THE LINGUIST DISCUSSION:
Send a message to:  linguist at tamvm1.tamu.edu

Or simply select the Reply option while reading a LINGUIST
message. (Use this option only if you're joining in the same
discussion as the message you're replying to.)

PLEASE: DO use subject headings which clearly tell the
subscribers what's in your message (e.g. don't send a query
on Mbum NP's with the subject heading "Query"!)

DO NOT reply to more than one LINGUIST posting in a single
message. This gives the editors a lot of extra work!

10) RETRIEVE A FILE FROM THE LISTSERV:

We frequently announce that large files are available on the
Listserv. To get such a file sent to you as a mail message,
follow the instructions given in the message announcing that
the file is available.

BUT REMEMBER:

The address for retrieving files is different from the
address for posting a message to LINGUIST.

Send your message to:	listserv at tamvm1.tamu.edu

Your message should consist of the following line:

get <file name> <file extension> linguist
Ex: get lsa lst linguist

(This will retrieve the list of e-mail addresses for LSA
members.)

If the listserv tells you that the file is unknown to it,
you may just have the wrong name.  Get a listing of all the
files it has by sending the listserv the message:

index linguist

11) PUT A FILE ON THE LISTSERV:

We ask that you put very long files (e.g. over 400 lines) of
LONGTERM interest on the Listserv, rather than posting them
to the entire list. Files appropriate for the Listserv
include conference abstracts; linguistic surveys; long
bibliographies; reports on projects directly relevant to
linguistic research (e.g., the Text-Encoding Initiative);
and other material of wide interest within the linguistics
community.

If you have material to put on the Listserv:
Head the material EITHER	"For the Listserv"
		  OR		"For the Listserv--announcement follows"
and send it to:  		linguist at tamvm1.tamu.edu

In other words, send it exactly like a regular LINGUIST
message.  We will put it on the Listserv for you and
announce to the list that it is available.

Depending on your header, we will announce it in one of two
ways:

If you have headed it, " . . . announcement follows" we'll
wait for your summary announcement and post that, after
appending our standard header telling how to retrieve the
complete file. THIS IS THE OPTION WHICH WE WOULD PREFER,
since it ensures a coherent announcement. Please make your
announcement brief and send it, as a second mail message, to
the same address.

If you have headed it simply "For the Listserv," we'll post
the first few lines of the file, after appending our
standard header telling how to retrieve the complete file.

12) GET A BACK ISSUE OF LINGUIST:

Currently all previous issues are available on line at
various sites around the world, and are accessible either by
mail or through World Wide Web. The main LINGUIST server,
the Listserv at Texas A & M, keeps back issues in archive
files, which can be accessed either through World Wide Web
or by mail.  If you access these by mail you'll need to send
a database query to the listserv asking for an index of the
back issues you want. a keyword for yout topic. You get such
a listing by sending the following to the listserv:

 		//SEARCH JOB ECHO=NO
 		DATABASE SEARCH DD=RULES
 		//RULES DD *
 		SEARCH keyword; IN LINGUIST

For example, you remember that there was a discussion last
year about Acehnese, but can't remember exactly when. You
need to search the database of the listserv for issues with
the word "Acehnese" in them. You send the following to the
listserv:

 		//SEARCH JOB ECHO=NO
 		DATABASE SEARCH DD=RULES
 		//RULES DD *
 		SEARCH ACEHNESE IN LINGUIST SINCE 01-OCT-1994

You will receive a listing of all relevant issue numbers,
with their headers.  To retrieve an issue, send the message:

 		//SEARCH JOB ECHO=NO
 		DATABASE SEARCH DD=RULES
 		//RULES DD *
 		SEARCH ACEHNESE IN LINGUIST SINCE 01-OCT-1994
 		PRINT Item-Number

Note that you use the Listserv's OWN item number, NOT the
LINGUIST issue number. More than one issue can be retrieved
at once.

For more complex searches than this one, you'll need to find
out more on how to use Listserv's database. So you send the
message:

		get database help linguist
to the address:
		listserv at tamvm1.tamu.edu

|13) GET LINGUIST BACK-ISSUES ON THE WEB:
|
|Back issues and search facilities for the LINGUIST list are
|available at a variety of different WWW-accessible sites.
|A listing of these exists at the URLs:
|
|http://www.emich.edu/~linguist/archives.html
|http://engserve.tamu.edu/files/linguistics/linguist/archives.html
|http://www.sfs.nphil.uni-tuebingen.de/linguist/archives.html

14) GET THE LISTSERV TO COOPERATE WHEN IT HASN'T SO FAR:

If you've been getting LINGUIST but haven't been able to get
files, set nomail, etc., the Listserv may have an address
which differs from the one on your mail-messages. A sure
sign that the Listserv doesn't recognize you is the response
"DATA CONTROL ACCESS VIOLATION" when you try a database
search, or a sentence beginning "You are not authorized
to..." when you try to get a subscriber list. This simply
means that the Listserv doesn't know who you are, and is
refusing to allow a non-subscriber access to LINGUIST
data. There are a number of ways to handle this:

- If you are using a Bitnet address, you'll have to reroute
using the Internet.  LINGUIST no longer uses Bitnet.

- Check to see if your address has changed since you
subscribed. If this has happened, you'll need to resubscribe
as in (5) above.

- Many people also receive LINGUIST through local
redistribution lists. Such a subscription allows you to read
LINGUIST, but not to access its data. If this is your
situation, you'll have to subscribe personally. You can set
yourself to nomail if you want to continue receiving mail
through the distribution list.  If all else fails, ask the
moderators for help.

15) SET TOPICS ON LINGUIST:

LINGUIST supports the separation of its mail into a set of
topics. You may thus use the TOPICS: option to select those
that are of interest to you and exclude all others. You will
then receive only those mail messages posted to the list
that relate to the one or more topics you have chosen. If
you do not select any topics for such a list, you will
receive all the e-mail sent to it. Note that you must have
the Mail option enabled for a mailing list before you can
then use the TOPICS: option since the DIGests and INDex
options do not support topic selection and the NOMail option
will stop all mail from LINGUIST being sent to you (see
the options of the SET command for more information).

              The following topics are set for LINGUIST:

Jobs, Qs, Confs, Calls, TOC, Sum, Rev,  FYI, Books, Disc

where Qs is queries,  Confs is conferences, TOC is tables of
contents, Rev is reviews, FYI is for your information, and
Disc is discussion.

You may select one or more of these topics by including
their names in the topic-names parameter. For example, you
could send the following command to the address

listserv at tamvm1.tamu.edu:

 SET LINGUIST TOPICS: JOBS CALLS

to receive list mail related only to the Jobs
and Calls topics. Other topics will not be sent to you.
Once you have subscribed to various topics, they may be
changed by using the '+' (add) or '-' (minus) symbols to
increase or decrease the topics you wish to receive from a
mailing list. This is useful when you do not want to retype
a long list of topic names with the TOPICS: option. For
example, to add the topic TOC and remove the topic Jobs from
the LINGUIST list:

 SET LINGUIST TOPICS: +TOC -JOBS

              You would now be subscribed to the topics of
Calls and TOC for the LINGUIST mailing list. Note that you
can review the topics which you have selected for any
mailing list through the Query command. You may also use the
special topic name of ALL to select all the topics available
on a mailing list. This is useful when used in conjunction
with the '-' (minus) symbol to select all but a few of the
topics available on a mailing list. For example, to
subscribe to every topic except Jobs on the LINGUIST list,
you could use the command:

 SET LINGUIST TOPICS: ALL -JOBS

|16) SET YOUR SUBSCRIPTION TO DIGEST
|
|The digest version allows you to receive all the postings sent
|each day in a single message. You can use this option if you
|have difficulties keeping up with all the messages that you
|receive from LINGUIST. To set your subscription to DIGEST,
|send a message to:
|
|	listserv at tamvm1.tamu.edu
|
|The message should consist of the following line only:
|
|	set linguist digest
|
|Make sure you are sending the message from the account under
|which you are subscribed to LINGUIST. If you are sending it
|from another account, the listserv will not recognize you.

17) GET EXTRA HELP WITH ANY OF THE ABOVE:
Send a message to any of us:

aristar at tam2000.tamu.edu	Anthony Rodrigues Aristar
hdry at emunix.emich.edu		Helen Dry
dseely at emunix.emich.edu		T. Daniel Seely