7.721, Sum: Iearning vs. innateness of binding principle

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue May 21 14:58:52 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-721. Tue May 21 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  235

Subject: 7.721, Sum: Iearning vs. innateness of binding principle

Date:  Mon, 20 May 1996 07:29:41 -0000
From:  Carsten.Breul at rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de ("Carsten Breul")

Date:  Mon, 20 May 1996 07:29:41 -0000
From:  Carsten.Breul at rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de ("Carsten Breul")

On 23 April 1996 (Linguist 7-607) I posted the following
query (I repeat the text in its original form, but, please,
read 'Beneficiary' or 'Benefactive' instead of 'Benefactor'
and think of an example sentence like 'Jane hits
her/herself' instead of my 'Jane combs her/herself', which,
as S.E. Kemmer points out, is bad English):

> in Vivian Cook and Mark Newson's _Chomsky's Universal
> Grammar: An Introduction_ (2nd edn., 1996), we find the
> following argument in favour of the innateness of the
> binding principles:
>
> "Step A is to claim that the native speaker knows that in
>
>    4. Helen said that Jane voted for herself.
>
> Jane binds _herself_ [...].
>
> Step B is to see whether children could have worked this
> out from the speech they are likely to have encountered.
> Suppose children wrongly understand that _herself_ is bound
> by Helen [...]. Nothing would tell the children that they
> are wrong; no context could let them unerringly distinguish
> the binding of anaphors and of pronominals." (p.84f.)
>
> On the one hand, I am not totally convinced by this
> argument. I can well imagine that children learn by
> induction and generalization from a number of simple
> sentences in proper contexts - like, e.g.
>
>      'Jane combs her' versus 'Jane combs herself' -
>
> that _her_ cannot refer to the Actor of the action of which
> _her_ is the Patient, while _herself_ must refer to this
> Actor. If we apply this generalization to the example
> sentence given by Cook and Newson (see above) - allowing
> also Benefactors alongside Patients -, we still get the
> correct result: _herself_ must refer to the Actor of the
> action of which it is the Benefactor. The fact that the
> anaphor is part of an embedded clause and that the matrix
> clause also has a feminine subject NP does not interfere
> if the 'rule' is derived by induction and stated this way.
>
> On the other hand, I would be totally convinced by Cook
> and Newson's argument, if children never made the mistake
> of using pronouns instead of anaphors or anaphors instead
> of pronouns during language acquisition. This would
> indicate, I think, that they do not proceed by induction
> and generalization.
>
> Can anyone tell me what the relevant facts of language
> acquisition are as regards pronouns and anaphors?
>
> Comments on and discussion of my arguments in general and
> especially clarification if I did not get the point of
> Cook and Newson's argument, are also welcome.

A big Thank You goes to the following persons for their