7.736, Disc: Languages in dreams, Millennium

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu May 23 13:48:25 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-736. Thu May 23 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  115

Subject: 7.736, Disc: Languages in dreams, Millennium

Date:  Thu, 23 May 1996 09:34:38 +0800
From:  ellgupta at leonis.nus.sg (Anthea Fraser Gupta)
Subject:  Re: 7.720, Disc: Languages in dreams, Typology, Millennium

2)
Date:  Wed, 22 May 1996 22:00:11 EDT
From:  JudiLabath at aol.com
Subject:  Re: 7.729, Disc: Language in dreams

3)
Date:  Wed, 22 May 1996 13:34:47 CDT
From:  jkonopak at uoknor.edu (John Konopak)
Subject:  Re: 7.732, Disc: Millennium

Date:  Thu, 23 May 1996 09:34:38 +0800
From:  ellgupta at leonis.nus.sg (Anthea Fraser Gupta)

>Bart Diels
>B.Diels at student.KUN.NL

>If I am right, Mr. Hoffman argues that the existence of dreams in which the
>dreamer fluently speaks a language he doesn't really master is an
>indication for the a-linguistic character of dreams. This does not quite
>convince me. If dreams would be totally a-linguistic, one could dream of
>speaking any language, but this doesn't seem to be the case: people seem
>to dream only of speaking languages that they more or less know. I guess
>that someone who doesn't speak a word of Chinese in real life will never
>be speaking Chinese in his dreams.

People's dreams must vary a great deal, as any discussion (e.g. about colour
in dreams, cross-gender dreams, dreaming as self, other, or omniscient
narrator) will reveal.  This presumably applies to language too.  I
personally have OFTEN dreamt "in" languages I don't speak at all (e.g.
Russian): the dream is deceiving me just as dreams deceive about who, where,
and when we are.  I "know" it's Russian, but of course it can't be....

Anthea
* Anthea Fraser GUPTA(http://www.nus.sg/NUSinfo/FASS/ELL/antheah.html)
* English Language & Literature            *                         *
* National University of Singapore         *           Tel: 7723 933 *
* Singapore 119260   * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Fax: 776 3638 *