7.739, Qs: Phoneme, Thai, Spelling, Address, References

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu May 23 14:13:32 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-739. Thu May 23 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  164

Subject: 7.739, Qs: Phoneme, Thai, Spelling, Address, References

Date:  Wed, 22 May 1996 15:05:27 +0200
From:  martinha at zedat.fu-berlin.de (Martin Haspelmath)
Subject:  Q: phoneme inventory size and word length

2)
Date:  Wed, 22 May 1996 09:09:08 EDT
From:  rakesh at utkux.utcc.utk.edu (Rakesh Bhatt)
Subject:  Thai phonology

3)
Date:  Wed, 22 May 1996 13:59:44 PDT
From:  vcspc005 at dewey.csun.edu (alan harris)
Subject:  unabomber, unibomber, unabomer???

4)
Date:  Thu, 23 May 1996 12:54:25 +0200
From:  plag at Papin.HRZ.Uni-Marburg.DE ("Ingo Plag")
Subject:  Query: Walinska de Hackbiel

5)
Date:  Thu, 23 May 1996 13:38:50 BST
From:  loperez at siur.unirioja.es (Lorena Perez)
Subject:  Erotic language studies

Date:  Wed, 22 May 1996 15:05:27 +0200
From:  martinha at zedat.fu-berlin.de (Martin Haspelmath)

I have sometimes heard allegations concerning a correlation between
phoneme inventory size and word length, i.e. languages with large phoneme
inventories are supposed to have shorter words, whereas languages with
small phoneme inventories tend to have longer words. This seems to be
confirmed e.g. by French vs. Spanish, and even more dramatically by
Abkhaz (with its 90-odd phonemes and its many single-consonant roots)
versus Polynesian languages (which have small phoneme inventories and
many polysyllabic roots).
  Has anyone ever tested this claim on a representative
sample of languages?
  And has the claim ever appeared in print? I have not been able to find
a reference to it in the published literature.

Thanks for pointers (I'm also interested in related phenomena),
Martin Haspelmath
(Free University of Berlin)