7.741, Qs: Syntax, Dictionary, English, Variation, Survey

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri May 24 13:59:47 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-741. Fri May 24 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  158

Subject: 7.741, Qs: Syntax, Dictionary, English, Variation, Survey

Date:  Thu, 23 May 1996 13:21:23 -0800
From:  escri at pinon.ccu.uniovi.es ( =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9?= Luis =?iso-8859-1?Q?
Gonz=E1lez?= Escribano)
Subject:  Query: A similar car to mine vs. *a keen student on syntax

2)
Date:  Thu, 23 May 1996 19:00:02 PDT
From:  nar1 at u.washington.edu (Nartach Djapbarova)
Subject:  Dictionary project

3)
Date:  Thu, 23 May 1996 16:50:38 -1000
From:  EGGINGTW at BYUH.EDU (William Eggington)
Subject:   Q: a broader look at English influence

4)
Date:  Fri, 24 May 1996 09:01:21 +0200
From:  dingelde at Papin.HRZ.Uni-Marburg.DE ("Dr.H.Dingeldein")
Subject:  Phonostylistic variation

5)
Date:  24 May 1996 13:25:32 GMT
From:  cilibrar at ugcs.caltech.edu (Rudi Cilibrasi)
Subject:  Color-Association survey (WWW, 2-minute fill-out time)

Date:  Thu, 23 May 1996 13:21:23 -0800
From:  escri at pinon.ccu.uniovi.es ( =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9?= Luis =?iso-8859-1?Q?
Gonz=E1lez?= Escribano)

Dear Linguists:

I am rather intrigued by the existence of the contrast between the
grammatical  'comparable facilities to ours', 'similar car to mine',
'difficult passage to play', etc., and the ungrammatical '*liable people to
prosecution', '*reluctant teenager to go to bed', '*keen student on
semantics', and so on, but I am not aware of any explanation for it. Can
anybody offer suggestions or relevant references? Thank you all!

Jos=E9 Luis Gonz=E1lez Escribano
escri at pinon.ccu.uniovi.es