7.743, Disc: Un?bom?er, -y in English

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri May 24 14:15:19 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-743. Fri May 24 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  114

Subject: 7.743, Disc: Un?bom?er, -y in English

Date:  Thu, 23 May 1996 21:05:41 BST
From:  djk1 at midway.uchicago.edu (David J. Kathman)
Subject:  Re: 7.739, Qs: Phoneme, Thai, Spelling, Address, References

2)
Date:  Thu, 23 May 1996 23:32:42 CDT
From:  pdaniels at press-gopher.uchicago.edu (Peter Daniels)

3)
Date:  Thu, 23 May 1996 20:13:12 EDT
From:  rowe at email.unc.edu (Charles Rowe)
Subject:  Re: sum: disc: -y in English

Date:  Thu, 23 May 1996 21:05:41 BST
From:  djk1 at midway.uchicago.edu (David J. Kathman)

Regarding Alan Harris' query about the correct spelling of "un?bom?er":

The official FBI code name for the case is UNABOM (with an 'a' and no 'b').
As I understand it, they came up with this name back in 1979 or so, once
they determined that these bombings were the work of one person.  The
"UN-" stands for universities and the "-A-" stands for airlines, since
those had been the bomber's two types of targets to that point.  I'm not
sure why they left the "B" off the end; my guess is it has something to
do with FBI code names being only six letters long, but I'm not sure.

There are a couple of ways in which the spelling of this name gets changed.
First, people interpret the "UNA-" as a prefix, naturally enough.  But since
"UNA-" is not a productive prefix in English, they tend to spell it "UNI-"
(pronounced the same, with a schwa), which is a productive English prefix.
Then, people naturally want to put that "B" back on the end of "BOM".  This
is especially true when you add the suffix "-ER"; people would want to
pronounce "unabomer" with a long 'o'.  (I suppose "unabommer" is a
theoretical possibility, but it's much less satisfactory than "unabomber").
So you get "unabomber", "unibomber", "unabomer", and probably some other
possibilities.  As to which one is "correct", I suppose it depends on how
pedantic you are; I don't see anything wrong with "unabomber", which was
by far the most common in the press reports I've seen.  I noticed that the
New York Times consistently uses "UNABOM", as in "UNABOM suspect Theodore
Kaczynski", but I'm not sure what they do when adding the "-ER" suffix.

Dave Kathman
djk1 at midway.uchicago.edu