7.766, Disc: -y, Language in dreams

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun May 26 14:56:31 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-766. Sun May 26 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  213

Subject: 7.766, Disc: -y, Language in dreams

Date:  Fri, 24 May 1996 16:04:24 PDT
From:  scott at sensoryc.com (Scott Martens)
Subject:  -y

2)
Date:  Sat, 25 May 1996 23:02:00 PDT
From:  IBENAWJ at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU (benji wald                          )

3)
Date:  Sat, 25 May 1996 14:07:45 CST
From:  crudin at wscgate.wsc.edu ("Catherine Rudin")
Subject:  Re: 7.742, Disc: Language in dreams

Date:  Fri, 24 May 1996 16:04:24 PDT
From:  scott at sensoryc.com (Scott Martens)

Charles Rowe's musings on Mick Jagger's -y as [I],
posted Fri., May 24, have prompted me to finally get
in on this discussion.  I neither agree nor disagree
with Rowe, by the way.

I don't believe anyone has made mention of the following
cross-linguistic phenomena, relevant to the discussion of
-y as unstressed [I]#.

(1) There is a well-known, cross-linguistically
motivated tendency for *unstressed* vowels (like "-y"
in English) to surface as *light* vowels (like short [I])
("light" meaning monomoraic; "heavy", bimoraic.) This
was first articulated by Hayes as the Weight to Stress
Principle (WSP), I think.
(2) In addition, a good number of unrelated languages do
not permit long vowels (like [iy] in English) to surface
in word-final position (e.g. Italian & Ponapean [sp?]).
Stress is not an issue here.

Like Italian and Ponapean, African American Vernacular
English and, say, Irish English could be independently
adhering to some *cross-linguistic* tendency, either (1)
or (2) above.  In other words, it's a not-so-unusual
coincidence in light of the widespread nature of such
prosodic patterns.

This -y discussion reeks of an Optimality Theoretic analysis.
I haven't worked out the details yet, but here's a sketch:
in dialects where unstressed /i/# is realized as short [I],
the WSP has a relatively high ranking, thus blocking *[iy]
in unstressed positions. In dialects where the realization
is [iy] (even though it's unstressed), the WSP is lowly ranked
and is violated so as not to incur violations of higher ranked
constraints, a constraint such as: open syllables must not
be light, which would block [I] word-finally.  Now back to our
scheduled program...

There is an analogous case in Brazilian Portuguese
that may corroborate a creole/African-origin analysis.
Bahia is the state with the greatest concentration of Afro
Brazilians, and this is patently borne out in their vocabulary,
food, music/dance, beliefs and religious practices (offerings
left for Yoruba spirit-saints are seen at busy city intersections).

In Bahia, it is also common for the unstressed heavy syllables
of standard Brazilian to surface as light syllables among the
locals. In the examples below, the transcriptions on the left
are standard Brazilian, and those on the right are popular
pronunciations that I collected in the capital; also, [N] means
"nasalize preceding rime".

homem		[ho'N.meyN] -> [ho'N.mi]		'man'
acabaram	[a.ka.ba'.rawN] -> [a.ka.ba'.ru]	'they finished'
Nelson 	[ne'w.soN] -> [New.su]		a popular name

Saubara	[saw.ba'.ra] -> [so.ba'.ra]	a town
d[oy]s negu[i']nhos  	-> d[o]s...		'two black guys' (dim.)

In these cases the unstressed heavy syllables of standard
speech end up as light syllables in popular Baiano.
On the basis of pairs like li.ma'wN - li.mo.na'.da, meaning
"lime - sweet lime drink", nasalization of vowels is best
analyzed as the realization of /N/ syllabified in the coda.
Nasal vowels are therefore heavy (= bimoraic).  There are several
other properties of nasal vowels that oblige a closed syllable
(bimoraic) analysis.

I can't confirm that this is exclusively "a black thing"
in Brazil, although that was my impression when i started
noticing it and documenting cases. In Bahia, nearly everyone
identifies with Afro Brazilian culture, so it's no
mystery that even Caucasian Baianos (ca. 15% of the population)
speak like those of color in informal speech. I don't recall
hearing Caucasian friends and acquaintances speaking this way
outside Bahia, as in Rio (where there's a substantial black
population) or Curitiba (where there isn't).  I'd be interested
if anyone has some input in this regard.

I think it's safe to say that African speech of the Americas
evidences WSP effects (English & Portuguese, I don't know about
Spanish), but would anyone venture that WSP serves as one
*diagnostic* for creolization, or for an African substrate?

From:
James Giangola (Sensory Circuits)
james at sensoryc.com