7.769, Qs: Umlauts, Case, Chinese, grammatical, etymology

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon May 27 15:14:54 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-769. Mon May 27 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  188

Subject: 7.769, Qs: Umlauts, Case, Chinese, grammatical, etymology

Date:  Sun, 26 May 1996 21:57:31 EDT
From:  LHORN at yalevm.ycc.yale.edu (Larry Horn)
Subject:       Danger:  umlauts ahead!

2)
Date:  Mon, 27 May 1996 00:11:20 -0000
From:  Kuo-ming.Liu at aisun1.ai.uga.edu ("Kuo-ming Liu")
Subject:  Query: abstract Case in Korean

3)
Date:  Mon, 27 May 1996 00:11:20 -0000
From:  Kuo-ming.Liu at aisun1.ai.uga.edu ("Kuo-ming Liu")
Subject:  Query: Reading sources on Chinese Passivization

4)
Date:  Mon, 27 May 1996 13:33:54 +0900
From:  gmodica at fh.seikei.ac.jp (Guy Modica)
Subject:  ungrammaticality vs. semantic anomaly

5)
Date:  Mon, 27 May 1996 14:50:35 PDT
From:  sarant at innet.lu (Nikos Sarantakos)
Subject:  Query: ruckwanderers - etymology

Date:  Sun, 26 May 1996 21:57:31 EDT
From:  LHORN at yalevm.ycc.yale.edu (Larry Horn)

I was wondering if anyone could either confirm or disconfirm my suspicion that
this line of research is unvarnished poppycock.  From today's (5/26/96) N. Y.
Times News of the Week in Review, p. 6, an article excerpting a study by 'the
psychologist Robert B. Zajonc, the former head of the Institute for Social
Research, who is now at Stanford University' in connection with a more general
discussion of race, war, genocide, and national character:

    Certain expressions, he found, affect blood flow, and thus temperature,
  in different parts of the brain...Perhaps, then, Mr. Zajonc speculated,
  the characteristic expressions required to make the sounds of French and
  German and Swahili affect speakers in the same way, thus accounting for
  their group traits.
    "I never pursued it very far", Mr. Zajonc siad.  "I did do some research
  on how language sound effects perception.  We told two groups of volunteers
  the same story in German.  One used words with a lot of umlauts, which is a
  sound [sic] that constricts air flow to the brain, which prevents cooling
  of the brain.  For the other story, we used synonyms that had none of these
  sounds. And the subjects consistently responded better to the story without
  the constricting sounds--they liked the protagonist better, the called the
  story more enjoyable."

So what I want to know, inter alia, is whether these results have been
replicated and how they extend to other languages:  do we find similarly
dramatic effects in Turkish, but not in French or Finnish where front rounded
vowels are not umlauts and thus don't similarly deoxygenate the brain?  Do
high front vowels...er, high umlauts overheat the brain more than mid or low
umlauts?  And can we perhaps study the use of high back unrounded vowels for
their possible effect as natural cerebral air conditioners?   And is there
grant money out there to help us find out?