7.778, Disc: Umlauts

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed May 29 04:25:51 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-778. Tue May 28 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  111

Subject: 7.778, Disc: Umlauts

Editor for this issue: avaldez at emunix.emich.edu (Annemarie Valdez)

Date:  Tue, 28 May 1996 03:29:55 +0900
From:  kellner at ipc.hiroshima-u.ac.jp (Birgit Kellner)
Subject:  Re: 7.769, Qs: Umlauts

2)
Date:  Mon, 27 May 1996 15:14:13 PDT
From:  crissiet at ix.netcom.com (Crissie Trigger )

Date:  Tue, 28 May 1996 03:29:55 +0900
From:  kellner at ipc.hiroshima-u.ac.jp (Birgit Kellner)

As for Larry Horn's question whether Robert B. Zajonc's theory on
umlauts and their detrimental influence on the oxygen flow to the
brain is "unvarnished poppycock" - although I am not able to confirm
or disconfirm Mr. Horn's suspicion, this line of research reminds me
of the celebrated theory on the Japanese brain, as put forward by
Tadanobu Tsunoda. Tsunoda holds that only consonants are processed in
the left hemisphere of occidental brains, while both consonants and
vowels are handled together in the left hemisphere of Japanese brains.
Hence, the Japanese brain unifies the perception of acoustic
phenomena, whereas the occidental brain treats them separately. This
analysis does not only explain the nature of Japanese society, but
also why Japanese athletes did not have much success in global
competitions after the 2nd World War (that theory was published in the
Seventies): The study of foreign languages (which are, no doubt,
geared to occidental brains) has severly damaged neurological reflexes
in the athletes' brains.  (For an exposition of this and related
theories, see e.g. Peter N. Dale, _The Myth of Japanese Uniqueness_,
Routledge 1986. Tsunoda's theory can be found in amazing places. For
example, it features prominently and unquestioned in a 1990 bilingual
guidebook called "Japan as it is", Tokyo: Gakken ltd., p.42f., where
the Japanese Nobel physicist Yukawa Hideki is said to have called
Tsunoda's theory "one of the most incredible theories I've heard in
years".  Unfortunately, we are not given any further explanations as
to what Mr.  Hideki meant by "incredible").

Personally, I think that a synthesis of Mr. Zajonc's and Mr. Tsunoda's
theories could go a long way and provide a lot  of grant money to many
promising (and imaginative) young scholars.

Birgit Kellner
Department for Indian Philosophy
University of Hiroshima