7.780, Disc: Lg & dreams, Unabomber, -y

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed May 29 14:49:27 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-780. Wed May 29 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  146

Subject: 7.780, Disc: Lg & dreams, Unabomber, -y

Date:  Mon, 27 May 1996 11:27:41 PDT
From:  dalford at s1.csuhayward.edu (Dan Moonhawk Alford)
Subject:  Lg & Dreams

2)
Date:  Tue, 28 May 1996 12:01:26 PDT
From:  vcspc005 at dewey.csun.edu (alan harris)
Subject:  UNABOMBER

3)
Date:  Tue, 28 May 1996 21:24:06 EDT
From:  rowe at email.unc.edu (Charles Rowe)
Subject:  re: disc. -y: further comments

Date:  Mon, 27 May 1996 11:27:41 PDT
From:  dalford at s1.csuhayward.edu (Dan Moonhawk Alford)

The discussion on language and dreams has taken an interesting
direction for this list, since we are now actively discussing issues of
human consciousness. As far as I can tell, these discussions lie
outside all theoretical linguistics since the ideal speaker-hearer is
always in one particular state of consciousness: the one that
supports the Puritan work ethic -- getting things done, revealing
rather than concealing information, etc.

It's fairly amazing that this entire discussion about language and
dreaming has gone on without the slightest nod to the fact that
dreaming is an entirely different state of consciousness than waking
reality -- and linguistics is currently only large enough to contain one
state of consciousness!

Am I understanding correctly? That some people want to force
language in dreams to conform to the same properties and
distinctions as language in waking state? The anecdote about
dreaming in faux-Bulgarian alone might show us that different
principles of consciousness are at work -- was that 'human language'
in the normal sense? How was it understood so clearly, then, in the
dream state, if it was not 'real'? Perhaps 'language' works differently
in different states of consciousness.

I'd like to repeat (for some) a story I collected from Sakej Henderson,
now Director of the Native Law Centre of Canada, which pertains
directly to this topic, and which I have called the Cheyenne Tower of
Babel Teaching: "Long ago, people and spirits and animals and
plants all communicated in the same way. Then something
happened. After that, we had to talk to each other in human speech.
But we retained The Old Language for dreams, and for
communicating with spirits and animals and plants."

So is 'human language' all there is to 'language', or is there a
shadow complementary 'language' that links human beings into the
rest of life? Quantum physics demands something like 'the Old
Language' in order for the entire universe to work (see the Einstein-
Podolsky-Rosen experiment & Bell's Theory). As the 1992-96 Fetzer
Dialogues between Indigenous and Western scientists have
confirmed, what some call 'prayer' or 'rapport' and others call
'telepathy' is the basis of quantum communication, which is of a
different state of consciousness than waking reality tends to be.
Linguistics must develop a multiple-states-of-consciousness theory
of language if understanding what 'language' is in its entirety is still
a priority. Or we can continue wandering around aimlessly,
disconnected from life on this planet, moving nodes and feeling
isolated.

							*moonhawk*