7.792, Qs: VARBRUL vs. SPSS, Fricatives, Paired transitive verbs

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu May 30 20:10:49 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-792. Thu May 30 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  107

Subject: 7.792, Qs: VARBRUL vs. SPSS, Fricatives, Paired transitive verbs

Date:  Wed, 29 May 1996 17:07:25 EDT
From:  amr1 at pooch1.allencol.edu (Antonio Medina-Rivera)
Subject:  VARBRUL vs. SPSS

2)
Date:  Thu, 30 May 1996 10:17:00 BST
From:  wcli at vax.ox.ac.uk
Subject:  interdental fricatives

3)
Date:  Wed, 29 May 1996 10:08:20 EDT
From:  fujii at mackay.cs.umass.edu (Hideo Fujii)
Subject:  languages with paired transitive verbs

Date:  Wed, 29 May 1996 17:07:25 EDT
From:  amr1 at pooch1.allencol.edu (Antonio Medina-Rivera)

I'm in the process of completing my dissertation.  I'm working with
phonological variables in relation to both social and situational
variables.  I've been using both VARBRUL and SPSS for Windows and I
have a question for the experts:
	What is the difference between the results obtained by VARBRUL
step up and down and SPSS Multiple Regression?  Are they comparable in
any way?

My question arose because I tried both, and the group of factors
selected by Multiple Regression and Step Up and Down as significant
are not the same, in fact only one group of factors coincided.

Please, give me some light in this matter.

Antonio Medina-Rivera
amr1 at pooch1.allencol.edu