7.794, Sum: Adjective/noun order

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu May 30 20:20:54 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-794. Thu May 30 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  66

Subject: 7.794, Sum: Adjective/noun order

Date:  Thu, 30 May 1996 15:56:03 -0000
From:  fmart at relay.ua.pt (Fernando J. S. Martinho)
Subject:  Adjective/noun order

Date:  Thu, 30 May 1996 15:56:03 -0000
From:  fmart at relay.ua.pt (Fernando J. S. Martinho)

(Posted in GB2MP list too)

Hi all Linguists

A while back, I requested info on adjective / noun ordering inside DP.
Thanks to (in no particular order) Annabel Cormack, Karen Lattewitz,
and Zhang Ning, who responded to my query.

Annabel Cormack refered a paper she wrote with Richard Breheny, which
is in UCLWPiL (University College Working Papers in Linguistics) 6
1994, and a reply of hers in Studia Linguistica vol 49 no1 1995.  She
kindly sent me a xerox ot the paper, and a copy of her brief
'reply'. :-) She also suggested me to look at A Judge and F G Healey
'A reference grammar of modern French' and a paper from Cinque (93)
'On the evidence for partial N movment in the Romance DP' (wich I
already knew)

Karen Lattewitz refered that the order of adjective and noun is the
topic of one of the chapters of her dissertation. She gives a
minimalist account for the adjacency effect of prenominal adjectives
and head nouns in Dutch and German.  Karen also kindly helped me, as
she sent me by Email a full chapter of her work.:-)

As for Zhang Ning, he (she?) did refer Prof. Denis Bouchard,
Universite du Quebec a Montreal, who has done a lot of studies on this
topic, and has many publications.

To all, thank you.

See you on the Net ;-)

Think about that: "Quand le sage montre la lune, l'imbecile regarde le
doigt"