7.797, Jobs: Help needed for phonetics corpus making

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri May 31 21:32:29 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-797. Fri May 31 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  189

Subject: 7.797, Jobs: Help needed for phonetics corpus making

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Fri, 31 May 1996 12:47:07 +0900
From:  masuya at mxb.meshnet.or.jp (Yoshihiro Masuya)
Subject:  Help needed for phonetics corpus making

Date:  Fri, 31 May 1996 12:47:07 +0900
From:  masuya at mxb.meshnet.or.jp (Yoshihiro Masuya)

Fri, 31 May, 1996.

Dear Linguists,

I have been looking for someone who will make or let his/her student
make good quality cassette tape or DAT recordings of RP accent and,
video-tape recordings of lip-movement when reading the text below (see
2)) with the front and side viewsof the lips synchronized by means of
a mirror held with a hand at the angle of 45゜ at the cheek
- an illustration of how to hold the mirror will be faxed directly to
the corpus-maker.  The video-recording should not spoil the quality of
theaudio recording by the video operation noise.  This job is to be
paid for.

This is part of a funded project and the deadline exists.  It is time
for me to make an application for the financialgrant now.  The
foundation does not give much time and I need to know whether someone
helps me or not before 4 June. I will know whether my application is
successful or not between the early and the mid-November and the
cooperator's job will start at that time.  As the Japanese academic
year closes at the end of March, the deadline of the job is before the
end of March, 1997.

Now what I want is this:

1) 4 to 6 male RP speakers and 4 to 6 female RP speakers: 10 speakers
 altogether.
2) These 10 speakers' readings of the following text:

    This recording is made by Mr/Ms/Dr/Prof, etc
 (NAME)
   at  (PLACE OF RECORDING
 MADE)
      on  (DATE)  for Prof. Masuya's use.

    A.  The NORTH WIND AND THE SUN
      The north wind and the sun were disputing which was the
        stronger when a traveler came along wrapped in a warm cloak.
    They agreed that the one who first succeeded in making the
      traveler take his cloak off should be considered stronger
        than the other.  Then the north wind blew as hard as he
        could, but the more he blew, the more closely did the
        traveler fold his cloak around him and at last the north
        wind gave up the attempt.  Then the sun shone out warmly and
        immediately the traveler took off his cloak and so the north
        wind was obliged to confess that the sun was the stronger of
        the two.

    B.  1.  bead, bead, bead.
      2.  bee, bee, bee.
      3.  bid, bid, bid.
      4.  bay, bay, bay.
      5.  bed, bed, bed.
      6.  bad, bad, bad.
      7.  ask, ask, ask.
      8.  not, not, not.
      9.  naught, naught, naught.
     10.  no, no, no.
     11.  pull, pull, pull.
     12.  pool, pool, pool.
     13.  two, two, two.
     14.  bud, bud, bud.
     15.  nut, nut, nut.
     16.  side, side, side.
     17.  now, now, now.
     18.  boy, boy, boy.
     19.  first, first, first.
     20.  hear, hear, hear.
     21.  forty, forty, forty.
     22.  pour, pour, pour.
     23.  poor, poor, poor.
     24.  China, China, China.
     25.  father, father, father.
     26.  pitied, pitied, pitied.
     27. merry, merry, merry.
     28.  tire, tire, tire.
     29.  fair, fair, fair.
     30.  ago, ago, ago..
     31.  tar, tar, tar.
     32.  horrid, horrid, horrid.
     33.  tower, tower, tower.
     34.  pitted, pitted, pitted.
     35.  attack, attack, attack.

3) Spontaneous conversations made by these (or some other ) RP speakers and the
 transcription of the conversations in the
  ordinary spelling: each speaker needs to be specified.  One conversation may
 be of any length; about 30 minutes
  altogether.

4) Each speaker's filling in the following questionaire

           QUESTIONNAIRE

NAME                    MALE/FEMALE

YEAR OF BIRTH

PLACE OF BIRTH

PLACE(S) WHERE YOU LIVED OVER ONE YEAR WITHOUT A BREAK

PLACE WHERE YOUR PARENTS COME FROM

  FATHER

  MOTHER

I will pay ¥100,000. (about £666.sterling, supposing
£1.=¥150.)  plus ¥20,000. for the required expenses
such as management charges for cashing the cheque, payments for the
speakers, buying audio and video tapes, postage and insurance.

The recordings of the readings mentioned as 2) above are supposed to
reach me at KONAN UNIVERSITY, Graduate School of Humanities, 9-1
OKAMOTO 8 CHOME, HIGASHINADA-KU, KOBE 658, JAPAN before the end of
February.  As soon as I get the recordings, I will make a remittance
of the whole amount (¥120,000.) in sterling
 pounds.

The receipt of the cheque must be dispatched; unless it arrives before
the account work of the university of this academic year finishes,they
cannot refund my expenses.

I should like to have the rest of the work sent before the end of
Professor Yoshihiro Masuya <masuya at mxb.meshnet.or.jp>

Professor of English Linguistics and Phonetics.
Graduate School of Humantities &    |
Institute for Language and Culture  |RESIDENTIAL ADDRESS
Konan University                    |9-14, Tsukushi ga Oka 1 Chome
9-1, Okamoto 8 Chome                |Kita-ku, KOBE 651-12
Higashinada-ku, KOBE 658            |Japan
Japan                               |
Tel: +81-78-431-4341.               |Tel: +81-78-581-9958.
Fax: +81-78-435-2545.               |Fax: +81-78-586-2101.
March.

Yoshihiro Masuya.