7.1562, Qs: Rate of lg change, Language Awareness, Ling. intro courses

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Nov 5 07:02:48 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1562. Tue Nov 5 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  132

Subject: 7.1562, Qs: Rate of lg change, Language Awareness, Ling. intro courses

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at tam2000.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Sun, 03 Nov 1996 13:42:42 CST
From:  pdaniels at press-gopher.uchicago.edu (Peter Daniels)
Subject:  Query: rate of language change

2)
Date:  Mon, 04 Nov 1996 13:17:50 GMT
From:  ingfrim at khi.is (Ingibjvrg Frmmannsdsttir)
Subject:  Re: LANGUAGE AWARENESS

3)
Date:  Mon, 04 Nov 1996 11:08:02 GMT
From:  hoski at rhi.hi.is (Hoskuldur Thrainsson)
Subject:  Ling. intro courses

Date:  Sun, 03 Nov 1996 13:42:42 CST
From:  pdaniels at press-gopher.uchicago.edu (Peter Daniels)

In *Lectures on the Science of Language* (1861), Max Muller says:

The historical changes of language may be more or less rapid, but
they take place at all times and in all countries.... We have
reason to believe that the same changes take place with even
greater violence and rapidity in the dialects of savage tribes,
although, in the absence of a written litera- ture, it is
extrememly difficult to obtain trustworthy information. But in
the few instances were careful observations have been made on
this interest- ing subject, it has been found that among the wild
and illiterate tribes of Siberia, Africa, and Siam, two or three
generations are sufficient to change the whole aspect of their
dialects. [I cite the New York: Scribner, 1862 edition (from the
2d London ed., revised), pp. 44-45.]

Does anyone know what "observations" he is referring to?

Some years ago, the late Wolfram von Soden, dean of
Assyriologists, made a similar remark about written vs. unwritten
languages, and I wonder whether anyone has thought of a way to
investigate/test the hypothesis? (It is of course closely tied to
the validity of glottochronology, which was "calibrated" via
several literary traditions but then applied to unwritten
languages around the world.)