7.1564, Qs: Generativity, Creoloid source(s),Terms for "Circumcision"

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Nov 5 07:31:54 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1564. Tue Nov 5 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  328

Subject: 7.1564, Qs: Generativity, Creoloid source(s),Terms for "Circumcision"

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at tam2000.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Mon, 04 Nov 1996 17:09:37 GMT
From:  nc206 at hermes.cam.ac.uk ("N. Chipere")
Subject:  Generativity

2)
Date:  Mon, 04 Nov 1996 13:10:49 EST
From:  rowe at email.unc.edu (Charlie Rowe)
Subject:  query: creoloid source(s)?

3)
Date:  Tue, 05 Nov 1996 10:34:06 +1100
From:  jeff.marck at anu.edu.au (Jeff Marck)
Subject:  Query: "Circumcision" in African languages?

Date:  Mon, 04 Nov 1996 17:09:37 GMT
From:  nc206 at hermes.cam.ac.uk ("N. Chipere")

On 4 November I wrote

>I am looking for references to past or on-going research on evidence
>for syntactic generativity, or lack of it, among native speakers of any
>language, though I have a particular interest in English. I am also
>interested in correlations between education and linguistic capacity.

Two respondents suggested that this query needs to be clarified,
particularly the term "syntactic generativity", so I will and try
and spell out in more detail the kind of information what I'm
looking for.

There is a long standing notion that speakers of a native
language have a uniform linguistic competence, statable as a
generative rule system, which allows them to them to understand,
at least at a syntactic level, novel sentences in their
language. My query is motivated by a number of studies which
suggest that the ability to understand certain types of novel but
grammatical sentence appears to be related to one's level of
education, or perhaps to some other underlying factor associated
with one's linguistic experience. For instance, Blumenthal (1966)
* found that his native English speaker subjects would
misintepret centre embedded sentences as co-ordinate
structures. Stolz (1968) reports that some of his subjects could
only decode centre embedded constructions in the presence of
semantic constraints and feedback. Blaubergs and Braine (1974)
also indicate the need for extensive training in order to get
people to decode these constructions appropriately. Gleitman and
Gleitman
 (1978) compared the ability of clerical workers and phd students
understand novel noun phrases like 'house bird
glass'. Apparently, despite training and offers of financial
reward, the less educated speakers persisted in interpreting the
noun phrase as 'glass bird house' despite the syntax which
indicates that it is the glass which is being modified.  The more
educated speakers, however, were able to arrive at the
appropriate interpretation. Finally, Dabrowska (submitted)
studied four groups of native English speakers and found
correletions between educational background and the ability to
process gap, tough movement and complex NP constructions. The
authors of these papers report that they controlled for memory
capacity, and, in any case, Gleitman and Gleitman's noun phrases
are hardly taxing in that respect. Each concludes that
appropriate linguistic experience, either in the form of training
in an experimental context or through formal education, is a
signficant factor controlling performance in the constructions
studied. The suggestion is that native speakers may not have the
same syntactic skills in their language.

This research spans 30 years and it seems to me that there must
be more written on the subject.  I would appreciate any
references, especially anything crosslinguistic.

Thanks,

Ngoni Chipere
Darwin College
University of Cambridge