7.1574, Sum: In the matter of "cluck" click

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Nov 7 06:58:23 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1574. Thu Nov 7 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  64

Subject: 7.1574, Sum: In the matter of "cluck" click

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at tam2000.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Mon, 04 Nov 1996 19:09:53 PST
From:  mcv at pi.net (Miguel Carrasquer Vidal)
Subject:  "cluck" click

Date:  Mon, 04 Nov 1996 19:09:53 PST
From:  mcv at pi.net (Miguel Carrasquer Vidal)

Dear linguists,

In the matter of the "cluck" click, my thanks to Lance Eccles,
Marc Picard and Bonny Sands, who all concurred in recommending
Ladefoged & Maddieson's "The Sounds of the World's Languages."

Quoting Bonnie Sands' reply:

> All your questions about clicks are answered in Ladefoged & Maddieson's
>"The Sounds of the World's Languages".  In brief, the # (palatal) click
>is laminal; with contact extending from the teeth to the post-alveolar
>region. The ! (alveolar) click is typically apical post-alveolar.
> The cluck sound (where the the tongue hits the floor of the mouth) is
>seen as an allophonic variant of ! in Hadza and Sandawe (p. 253), languages
>which do not contrast ! and #.  We have transcribed this with !!, with
>the second of the two exclamation points being upside down (can't do it
>here). -- in "A Phonetic Study of Sandawe Clicks", UCLA W[orking]P[apers]
>in Phonetics vol. 91, October 1995. (Wright, Maddieson, Ladefoged & Sands).

Ladefoged & Maddieson's book, which I had already briefly seen in the book
store, has now definitely moved to top-three position in my purchase schedule.

[I have some kind of mental block about consulting reference works from the
library...]

Thanks again,

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
mcv at pi.net