7.1592, Qs: Nouns, Book by Oehrle, Medical prescriptions, National lgs

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Nov 9 16:13:41 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1592. Sat Nov 9 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  164

Subject: 7.1592, Qs: Nouns, Book by Oehrle, Medical prescriptions, National lgs

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at tam2000.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Date:  Fri, 08 Nov 1996 09:56:11 EST
From:  tunstall at psyche.mit.edu (San Tunstall)
Subject:  Query: Abstract/Concrete Nouns and Noun Classes

2)
Date:  Fri, 08 Nov 1996 21:12:09 GMT
From:  mb249 at cus.cam.ac.uk ("M. Bouba")
Subject:  Book by Oehrle

3)
Date:  Thu, 07 Nov 1996 17:32:00 -0300
From:  accuosto at fing.edu.uy (Pablo Accuosto)
Subject:  Q: Medical Prescription Corpus

4)
Date:  Thu, 07 Nov 1996 09:30:43 CST
From:  Evan.Antworth at SIL.ORG ("Evan L. Antworth")
Subject:  National languages

Date:  Fri, 08 Nov 1996 09:56:11 EST
From:  tunstall at psyche.mit.edu (San Tunstall)

Hi all.

Has anyone come across a definition for what counts as an 'abstract'
noun vs. a 'concrete' noun? I'm analyzing a reading experiment in
which the two types seem to act differently and I'd like to find a
reasonable way of deciding which nouns belong to which type (apart
from looking at the data and working backwards!).

Also, does anyone know of an equivalent to Beth Levin's book "English
Verb Classes and Alternations" for English nouns? I often find Levin's
book useful when making up experimental materials. I'm sure I would
refer to a similar book on nouns just as often.

Thanks,

San Tunstall
UMass/Amherst and MIT