7.1616, Qs: Copulas, Potters field, Dictionaries and anti-semitism

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Nov 16 15:07:09 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1616. Sat Nov 16 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  103

Subject: 7.1616, Qs: Copulas, Potters field, Dictionaries and anti-semitism

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at tam2000.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Date:  Wed, 13 Nov 1996 17:14:03 +1100
From:  s_nickn at eduserv.its.unimelb.edu.au (Nick Nicholas)
Subject:  Q: Copulas from Pronouns

2)
Date:  Mon, 11 Nov 1996 14:13:06 EST
From:  ssammons at nunanet.com (susan sammons)
Subject:  potters field,

3)
Date:  Tue, 12 Nov 1996 15:21:32 +0100
From:  joseph.reisdoerfer at iserp.lu (Joseph REISDOERFER)
Subject:  Dictionaries and Anti-semitism

Date:  Wed, 13 Nov 1996 17:14:03 +1100
From:  s_nickn at eduserv.its.unimelb.edu.au (Nick Nicholas)

Is anyone aware of any cases in human languages where a copula has
grammaticalised/developed out of a pronoun, be it personal or
demonstrative? What I have in mind is a development where, in an
initially zero-copula language, the subject pronoun in predicative
statements starts picking up verb morphology, and ends up a copula (of
sorts, at least.)

My advance thanks for any responses; I will summarise for the list.

-
Nick Nicholas  Linguistics, Uni. Melbourne  Dera me xhama t"e larm"e,
n.nicholas at linguistics.unimelb.edu.au       Dera mbas blerimit
http://daemon.apana.org.au/~opoudjis        Me xhama t"e larm"e!
 In case you're wondering:                  Lumtunia nuk ka ngjyra tjera.
 the poem is in Albanian.            (Martin Camaj, _Nj"e Shp'i e Vetme_)