7.1625, Qs: Myths in linguistics, ITRANS

The Linguist List linguist at unix.tamu.edu
Mon Nov 18 16:47:13 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1625. Mon Nov 18 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  83

Subject: 7.1625, Qs: Myths in linguistics, ITRANS

Moderators: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar: Texas A&M U. <aristar at unix.tamu.edu>

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at unix.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Editor for this issue: robinson at emunix.emich.edu (Susan Robinson)

Date:  Thu, 14 Nov 1996 14:32:52 GMT
From:  MURPC88 at macollamh.ucd.ie (feargal murphy)
Subject:  myths in linguistics

2)
Date:  Fri, 15 Nov 1996 14:36:39
From:  doctor at cdac.ernet.in
Subject:  ITRANS

Date:  Thu, 14 Nov 1996 14:32:52 GMT
From:  MURPC88 at macollamh.ucd.ie (feargal murphy)

A colleague of mine in the psychology department in UCD is writing
a book on the myths that develop within different subject areas. The
kind of "fact" that turns out to be based on false data or non-existant
papers that get cited so often that they come to be accepted as real.
The closest in linguistics that everyone would know would probably be
the good old 'words for snow in eskimo' story.

Can anyone out there think of a few more examples in and around the
area of linguistics?

I'll post a summary.

Thanks,

Feargal Murphy