7.1644, Qs: English requests, Word Frequency, South Asian Lgs & Lx

The Linguist List linguist at unix.tamu.edu
Fri Nov 22 05:16:31 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1644. Thu Nov 21 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  100

Subject: 7.1644, Qs: English requests, Word Frequency, South Asian Lgs & Lx

Moderators: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar: Texas A&M U. <aristar at unix.tamu.edu>

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at unix.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Editor for this issue: robinson at emunix.emich.edu (Susan Robinson)

Date:  Tue, 19 Nov 1996 10:34:01 +0200
From:  ilfi7 at cc.uab.es (Hortensia Curell)
Subject:  English requests

2)
Date:  Tue, 19 Nov 1996 09:38:07 MST
From:  Peter.Ross at anu.edu.au
Subject:  Word Frequency in Asia

3)
Date:  Wed, 20 Nov 1996 16:38:55 +0800
From:  ellaps at leonis.nus.sg (Anjum Pervez Saleemi)
Subject:  Yearbook of South Asian Languages & Linguistics

Date:  Tue, 19 Nov 1996 10:34:01 +0200
From:  ilfi7 at cc.uab.es (Hortensia Curell)

A graduate student of mine is writing a Master's thesis on requests
in natural classroom language in English. We would appreciate any
information on the following aspects:
i) usage of requests by native speakers of English.
ii) any studies done on the usage of requests by learners of English
(either in the classroom situation or in natural settings).

I will provide a summary of all the answers received.
Hortensia Curell
Departament de Filologia Anglesa i de Germanistica
Edifici B
08193 Bellaterra. Spain
Tel.: (3) 581 2325  581 1567
Fax: (3) 581 20 01