7.1677, Qs: English rel clauses, Sign Language, German synonyms

The Linguist List linguist at unix.tamu.edu
Wed Nov 27 20:45:47 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1677. Wed Nov 27 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  131

Subject: 7.1677, Qs: English rel clauses, Sign Language, German synonyms

Moderators: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar: Texas A&M U. <aristar at unix.tamu.edu>

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at unix.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Editor for this issue: robinson at emunix.emich.edu (Susan Robinson)

Date:  Sun, 17 Nov 1996 09:47:52 +0900
From:  jongbok at nms.kyunghee.ac.kr (Kim Jong-Bok)
Subject:  English Free Relative Clauses

2)
Date:  Fri, 22 Nov 1996 14:17:26 PST
From:  JLEMUS at biblio.ues.edu.sv ("Jorge Ernesto Lemus")
Subject:        Sign Language

3)
Date:  Wed, 20 Nov 1996 14:55:28 GMT
From:  100305.1233 at compuserve.com (oliver boettcher)
Subject:  synonyms, idioms

Date:  Sun, 17 Nov 1996 09:47:52 +0900
From:  jongbok at nms.kyunghee.ac.kr (Kim Jong-Bok)

Dear "Linguist" subscribers,

I, a non-native speaker of English, am seeking English native
speakers' intutions and comments on some English free relative clause
sentences. Literature accepts the preposition drop in free relative
clauses if the dropped preposition is locative or directional and if
the preposition in the main matrix matches with the dropped
preposition in the relative clause:

(1) a. I'll live in whatever town you live in.
    b. I'll live in whatever town you live.
(2) a. I'll move to whatever town you move to.
    b. I'll move to whatever town you move.

Even cases where the matrix verb is different from the verb
in the relative clause are also possible, according to
previous literature.

(3)  a. I'll work in whatever town you live.
     b. I'll live in whatever town you work.

But most of the native speakers teaching English here and
I consulted with didn't accept the proposition dropped
exampls in (1b), (2b), and (c).

My question is what you subscribers think about examples like (1b),
(1c), and (3). If you accept these (b) examples, can you give
me other examples?   If you can tell me any pattern
in acceptable examples, it will be of great help, of course.

Please directly reply to jongbok at nms.kyunghee.ac.kr.
I will post a summary if there are enough responses.

Thanks a million in advance.

Jong-Bok Kim
Seoul, Korea