7.1693, Jobs: Computational Lexicographer for Spanish

The Linguist List linguist at unix.tamu.edu
Sat Nov 30 17:02:09 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1693. Sat Nov 30 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  85

Subject: 7.1693, Jobs: Computational Lexicographer for Spanish

Moderators: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar: Texas A&M U. <aristar at unix.tamu.edu>

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at unix.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Wed, 27 Nov 1996 16:18:02 PST
From:  deborahc at MICROSOFT.com (Deborah Coughlin)
Subject:  Job Announcement: Spanish Lexicographer

Date:  Wed, 27 Nov 1996 16:18:02 PST
From:  deborahc at MICROSOFT.com (Deborah Coughlin)

COMPUTATIONAL LEXICOGRAPHER for Spanish

 The NLP Group in Microsoft Research is looking for a computational
lexicographer for Spanish.  The position will be located on the
Microsoft central campus in Redmond, Washington, USA. This is a
great opportunity to work with a dedicated group of researchers
who are creating a system for unrestricted text understanding and
generation.

RESPONSIBILITIES: The lexicographer's primary responsibilities
include maintaining the morphological rules and data for the
language, in accordance with the overall system architecture used
by the Microsoft Research NLP group, and working on the
conversion of a machine readable dictionary.

QUALIFICATIONS: The lexicographer's qualifications should include
experience in linguistic research and online dictionary
development, programming experience, keen interest in lexical
issues, and an advanced degree in linguistics or a closely
related discipline.  Native proficiency in Spanish is assumed.  A
practical orientation is highly desirable.  Significant
programming experience or experience extracting lexical
information from online dictionaries or corpora would be a plus.

ABOUT THE MICROSOFT NLP RESEARCH GROUP: We are in the process of
designing and building a system to analyze unrestricted natural
language, taking input text, and moving from
lexical/morphological analysis through syntax, semantics, and
eventually pragmatics and discourse.  A generation component is
also planned.  The programming system and underlying principles
that are used for English have been found to be applicable to
other languages.  We are empirically oriented, and are happy to
use good linguistic ideas wherever they can be found.  A
reasonable first-version summary of our techniques and some of
our experience can be found in the book "Natural Language
Processing: The PLNLP Approach," Kluwer Academic Publishers,
Boston, 1993.

 For more information about the NLP group, connect to our home
 page on the World Wide Web.

  http:// www.research.microsoft.com/research/nlp

Please send your application to:
Steven Clyne