7.1357, Disc: ASL

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Oct 3 21:31:57 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1357. Mon Sep 30 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  323

Subject: 7.1357, Disc: ASL

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at tam2000.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Date:  Fri, 27 Sep 1996 13:19:43 -0800
From:  mikelm at rosewood.his.ucsf.EDU (Mikel Matto)
Subject:  Re: ASL

2)
Date:  Fri, 27 Sep 1996 15:57:57 MDT
From:  wilcox at unm.edu (Sherman Wilcox)
Subject:   ASL

3)
Date:  Sat, 28 Sep 1996 08:55:31 PDT
From:  ganelin at netcom.com (David Ganelin)
Subject:  Re: 7.1340 - ASL IS a real language!

4)
Date:  Fri, 27 Sep 1996 09:23:24 EDT
From:  danr at inetw.net (Dan & Alysse Rasmussen)
Subject:  ASL ... The Neverending Debate

Date:  Fri, 27 Sep 1996 13:19:43 -0800
From:  mikelm at rosewood.his.ucsf.EDU (Mikel Matto)

Regarding Glen Dolberg's discussion about ASL:

I would have to agree with your colleagues, Dr. Dolberg.  In your
posting, you noted that "the three of us who teach linguistics do not
feel that learning ASL is more than half equal to learning a foreign
language"; this makes me wonder if perhaps you're confusing American
Sign Language with Signed English.

Signed English is just that; it is the English language translated
from the verbal to the visual-spatial.  The syntax, morphology, and
agreement remains very similar to verbal English.

But American Sign Language is completely independent of English.  It
does not use a Subject-Verb-Object structure, nor follow any of the
syntax of English.  The morphology is an entirely different entity.
It is not "miming" as many people assume; in fact, only a small
percentage of signed words bear any visual resemblance to their
meaning.

ASL is a rich and beautiful language of its own right.  Gaullaudet
University is a well respected university in Washington D.C. in which
ASL is the primary means of academic communication for the campus, as
a majority of the students are Deaf.

Every rule that linguists have deemed appropriate for determining a
language's individuality has been applied successfully to ASL.  As
you're in Stockton, you may wish to contact or visit the Fremont
School for the Deaf, which has one of the best reputations nationally
for their education of deaf students; if you're lucky, you might be
able to visit an ASL poetry recital or theatre group.

Learning ASL is less "than half equal to learning a foreign language"?
Hardly.  In the traditional sense, learning ASL is as difficult as
learning any second langauge.  And when you find that you must also
learn the rules for representing morphology and tense in a
visual-spatial sense, you may understand the complexity and richness
of ASL.

Before your college makes their decision regarding ASL, I would
STRONGLY suggest reading a book about the language to fully learn the
complexity.  Dr. Oliver Sachs had assumed that ASL was mimed English
as well... until he studied the language and approached the deaf
community.  "Seeing Voices", I believe it's called.  It's worth a
read.