7.1372, Disc: Grammaticalization

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Oct 4 18:04:02 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1372. Fri Oct 4 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  67

Subject: 7.1372, Disc: Grammaticalization

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at tam2000.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Mon, 30 Sep 1996 11:49:12 EDT
From:  pspeas at linguist.umass.edu (Margaret J Speas)
Subject:  Re:  Disc.  Grammaticalization

Date:  Mon, 30 Sep 1996 11:49:12 EDT
From:  pspeas at linguist.umass.edu (Margaret J Speas)

Esa Itkonen comments:

> Of course the 'Chomskyan framework' is incompatible with
> grammaticalization. Grammaticalization is generally conceptualized as
> a two-stage process. (Let us call the stages e.g. 'reanalysis' and
> 'extension'.) Reanalysis is based on a pre-existent model, i.e. it is
> an analogical process. Extension analogically generalizes the result
> of reanalysis to new contexts, i.e. it too is an analogical
> process. (This will be argued more extensively elsewhere.) Now,
> Chomsky's fondness of analogy is known to be minimal(ist).

I'm not familiar enough with the issue of grammaticalization to
comment on the first part, but the claim that 'Chomsky's fondness
of analogy is known to be minimal' is not right.  What Chomsky
has always claimed is that to say that language works 'by
analogy' simply begs the question - which analogy?  Of course
English speakers draw analogies like the following:

play : plays :: glark : glarks

But Chomsky's point is that there are lots of reasonable
analogies that no English speaker ever draws.  Like:

John is easy to please : To please John is easy ::

John is eager to please : To please John is eager.

So the question is WHY speakers make some analogies and not
others.  The claim is not that language cannot involve analogical
reasoning; it's just that you have to investigate WHICH analogies
are made and which ones aren't in order to get at the root of
knowledge of grammar.

Peggy Speas
UMass, Amherst