7.1378, Sum: Consonant harmony

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Oct 5 22:33:35 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1378. Sat Oct 5 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  672

Subject: 7.1378, Sum: Consonant harmony

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at tam2000.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Date:  Wed, 02 Oct 1996 15:28:19 EDT
From:  gafos at linguist.umass.edu (Adamantios Gafos)
Subject:  summary: consonant harmony

Date:  Wed, 02 Oct 1996 15:28:19 EDT
From:  gafos at linguist.umass.edu (Adamantios Gafos)

Dear Colleagues:

In March 1996, I sent out an inquiry for instances of what appear to
be long-distance assimilations affecting noncontiguous sequences of
consonants. I would like to thank the several people who have
responded to my query. Their responses follow (after the copy of the
original message below).

Based on their information and my own research I have proposed a
typology for the cases of consonant harmony involving coronal
consonants, that is, consonants articulated with the tongue tip-blade
(in my PhD dissertation titled "The Articulatory Basis of Locality in
Phonology", The Johns Hopkins University, August 1996; copies
available from the author).

Diamandis Gafos                 Department of Linguistics
gafos at linguist.umass.edu	Univ. of Massachusetts, Amherst

WARNING: The remainder of this message is long (approx. 700 lines)

I am trying to compile a typology of the (perhaps) rather limited
phenomenon of consonant harmony, a process of assimilation which
affects sequences of non-contiguous consonants (in a similar fashion
to vowel harmony).

To give a simple example, Chumash has been reported to have had such a
process, causing a prefix apical fricative /s/ to alternate with a
laminal fricative /sh/ in the environment before, but not necessarily
immediately adjacent to, another laminal fricative or affricate in the
word.  Vowels are transparent to this process, and hence consonant
harmony has a striking long-distance character.

I have so far found the following cases of languages with consonant
harmony.

American Indian:				Other languages:

	Chilcotin (N. Athapaskan)		Kinyarwanda (Bantu)
	Tahltan (N. Athapaskan)			Moroccan Arabic (Semitic)
	Navajo (S. Athapaskan)			Tamazight/Ntifa (Berber)
	Kiowa Apache (S. Athapaskan)		Sanskrit (Indo-European)
	Chiricahua Apache (S. Athapaskan)
	Chumash (Hokan)
	Tzeltal (Penutian Mayan)
	Southern Paiute (Uto-Aztecan)

There are also claims that consonant harmony is attested in Quechua
and Greenlandic Eskimo, but my preliminary search of some grammars did
not confirm these claims.

I am looking for any other cases of consonant harmony which you may
have seen.  References to sources, especially those with some
articulatory and/or acoustic characterizations of the sounds, will be
most helpful. Please reply to me and I'll post a summary.

Thanks,
Diamandis Gafos				Department of Cognitive Science
gafos at mail.cog.jhu.edu			The Johns Hopkins University
					Baltimore, MD 21218

From: hangstrom at mit.edu

I'm not 100% sure if this is what you are looking for, but I recall a
brief mention of a process where rounding can spread to a consonant
over a vowel in Passamaquoddy, an algonquian (native american)
language.  The main linguistic source that I know of is Philip
LeSourd's MIT dissertation, which was recently (1993) published by
Garland.  I've forgotten now exactly when the dissertation was
completed -- 1988?  Anyway, it's called "Accent and Syllable Structure
in Passamaquoddy".

Ah, here we go.  I wrote a fairly long paper about Passamaquoddy from
the point of view of Optimality Theory, and I just found the section
where I talked about this in particular.  The phenomenon is this:

Two nearly identical consonants when they surround an underlying schwa
will become identical and become a geminate, deleting the vowel which
separates them.  So it doesn't *look* much like consonant harmony over
a vowel, because the vowel is gone on the surface.  This is sounding
less and less like what you want.

Nevertheless, an example is /n-s at k@kwi-.../ -> n-s at kwkwi-p@n 'we
(du. exc.)  vomit' (292) where the second @ (schwa) deletes and the
two consonants surrounding take on the [+round] that is underlyingly
only associated with the second consonant.  This also can happen in a
case like the following: /tot- at c@ssi-w/ -> toc-c at sso 'he is dark'.  If
you get ahold of LeSourd's book, this stuff is discussed on p. 285 and
forward, section 5.7.3.

 -Paul Hagstrom
  hagstrom at mit.edu

From: kvt at husc.HARVARD.EDU (Karl Teeter)

Dear Diamandis: It doesn't look as if you have gone very far in
checking out consonant harmony (LINGUIST 10,869). Among other things
you have not listed any of the languages I know which have it, and to
the best of my knowledge it is I who invented the term in my third
published paper in 1959: Consonant Harmony in Wiyot (with a note on
Cree), IJAL 25.41-43.  I described it there and in my book The Wiyot
Language (UCPL 37).  Languages I know which have it are Wiyot, Karuk,
Wishram, etc., and, in fact, consonant harmony appears to be a
Northwest Coast areal phenomenon, as Boasians used to use the term, a
phonological process which crosses genetic boundaries. Good idea to
study it further, it may be more extensive than you think (some
dialects of Igbo, perhaps)!  Yours, kvt (=Karl V. Teeter, Professor of
Linguistics, Emeritus, Harvard University)

From: gayres at ns.inter.edu (Glenn Ayres)

In (one dialect of) Ixil, a Mayan language, it is fairly common in CVC
roots for the first fricative or affricate to assimilate (across the V
of the root) to the second C, assuming it is also a fricative or
affricate.  Is that the kind of thing you are interested in?

More information may be found in my book:

Glenn Ayres (1991?) La gramatica ixil.  Antigua Guatemala: CIRMA.

Good luck with your research.

From: nostler at chibcha.demon.co.uk (Nicholas Ostler)

Latin -alis/-aris adjectival alternation might be an example.
Notionally, -aris is used only in roots with a preceding l

stellaris
lunaris
militaris
luminaris
fulminaris
etc.

but
mentalis
corporalis
capitalis
causalis
etc.

Unfortunately, the long-distance form seems to have broken down fairly
early in Latin's long history: hence fluvialis, legalis, laminalis

Another possible example is the noted Indo-European phonotactic
constraint against having two aspirated consonants in the same root.

Regards

Nicholas Ostler

From: cpeust at gwdg.de (cpeust)

A phenomenon similar to what you mentioned can be found in Coptic, the
last stage of the extinct Egyptian language, written in Greek
characters.  Here /s/ shifts to /sh/ (a palatal fricative) if
preceding another palatal in the same word, as in /shace/ (c = palatal
stop) "to speak" < egyptian sct (egyptian vowels are unknown as not
represented in hieroglyphic script, c is here to be taken as a
non-aspirated, perhaps ejective palatal stop, t is dropped in Coptic
in word-final position).  This is only true, however, for the Sahidic
dialect, which is the most widespread; in Bohairic, the dialect of the
Nile Delta, for example, the same word is 'saci' with /s/ retained.

Carsten Peust
Seminar of Egyptology
Goettingen
Germany
cpeust at gwdg.de

From: Larry Trusk

Basque has a limited form of consonant harmony, in the form of
sibilant harmony.  Basque has two contrasting voiceless fricatives: a
lamino-alveolar one, notated <z>, and an apico-alveolar one, notated
<s>.  The first resembles English or American Spanish /s/; the second
resembles Castilian Spanish /s/, but is sometimes more retracted.
There are also the two corresponding affricates, notated <tz> and
<ts>.  Basque also has a voiceless palato-alveolar fricative, notated
resembling English and Spanish <ch>, but these, like all "palatal"
consonants in Basque, have historically occupied a rather special
place in the system, and they do not participate in the sibilant
harmony: they can co-occur with any of the others.

The basic rule is that a lexical item can contain only laminals or
only apicals.  Here are some typical items:

<zezen> `bull'
<izotz> `ice'
<zazpi> `seven'
<zortzi> `eight'
<ziztor> `type of sausage; icicle'
<zotz> `small stick'
<zurtz> `orphan'
<zuzen> `straight'
<zirtzil> `insignificant'
<zintzo> `honest'
<zozo> `blackbird'
<zorrotz> `sharp'

<sahats> `willow'
<saihets> `rib'
<sats> `ordure, manure'
<sits> `moth'
<itsusi> `ugly'
<itsatsi> `stick, adhere'
<saski> `basket'
<seska> `cane' (plant)
<seaska> `cradle' (a compound)
<isats> `broom' (plant)
<ostots> `thunder' (a compound)
<itsaso> `sea'

There is a marked tendency (but not an absolute law) for non-harmonic
sibilants in compounds, derivatives, and loan words to undergo
assimilation, almost always to the apical.  Examples:

<zin> `oath, truth' + <-etsi> `consider' > <sinetsi> `believe',
attested as <zinetsi> in some early texts.

Spanish <france's> `French' was borrowed as (attested) <frantzes>, but
the usual form today is <frantses>.

The word for `bramble' is everywhere <sasi> today, but it is attested
second form is not attested and the development is not certain.

Spanish <sazo'n> `season', borrowed as <sazoi(n)> and still so in the
east, is <sasoi(n)> in the west.

`white'; without assimilation, we would have expected *<satzuri>.

Spanish <solaz> `recreation' was borrowed as <solaz>, attested and
still used in the east, but the west has <solas> `conversation'.

Inflectional suffixes do not assimilate.  So, the instrumental
case-ending <-z> is always so: <hots> `noise', instr. <hotsez>;
<itsaso> `sea', instr. <itsasoz>.  Likewise, the gerund-forming suffix
<-tze> does not assimilate: <sartu> `enter', stem <sar->, forms gerund
<sartze>.

If you should want to check this with any Basque-speakers you may have
recently been lost in the western third of the country (Vizcaya and
much of Guipu'zcoa); you will need a Basque from farther east.

There is a brief discussion of sibilant harmony in section 14.3 of the
following book:

Luis Michelena, _Fone'tica histo'rica vasca', San Sebastia'n:
Publicaciones del Seminario de Filologi'a Vasca "Julio de Orquijo".
First ed. 1961; 2nd ed. 1977; 3rd ed. 1985.

There will also be a brief treatment of it in sections 2.2.3 and 3.4
of my forthcoming book:

R. L. Trask, _The History of Basque_, London: Routledge. Forthcoming
November 1996.

Larry Trask
COGS
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QH
England

larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk

From: markus.hiller at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de (Markus Hiller)

in my reply to your query i forgot to include a rather tricky
(i.e. interesting) one:

this one is sometimes referred to as ``lyman's law'' in japanese
rendaku and can be (roughly, not quite exactly) characterized as
consonant disharmony in d i s t i n c t i v e (!)  v o i c i n g .

rendaku = in (native) compounds, an initial obstruent in the right
component
	  ``becomes'' voiced.

``lyman's law'' = if the right component contains an underlying voiced
		  obstruent   a n y w h e r e ,   no rendaku
		  (itou/mester 1986).
e.g.
	/ori/ + /kami/     --->  /origami/	``paper folding''
     but:
	/onna/ + /kotoba/  -X->  */onnagotoba/	``feminine speech''

this even holds if that obstruent is voiced because of
postnasal voicing (itou et al. 1995):
	/aka/ + /tombo/    -X->  */akadombo/	``red dragonfly''

markus hiller
(tuebingen, germany)

p.s.: references:

ITOU, junko and MESTER, armin, 1986. ``the phonology of voicing in japanese''.
    l i n g u i s t i c   i n q u i r y   17, pp.49-73.

ITOU, junko; MESTER, armin and PADGETT, jaye, 1995(?). ``licensing and
   underspecification in optimality theory''(?).  l i n g u i s t i c
    i n q u i r y   24.