7.1383, Qs: Cognitive science intro book, Sample English sentences

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Oct 6 18:37:27 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1383. Sun Oct 6 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  99

Subject: 7.1383, Qs: Cognitive science intro book, Sample English sentences

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at tam2000.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Editor for this issue: robinson at emunix.emich.edu (Susan Robinson)

Date:  Fri, 04 Oct 1996 21:11:42 EDT
From:  BPEARSON at umiami.ir.miami.edu
Subject:  Looking for cognitive science intro book

2)
Date:  Thu, 03 Oct 1996 20:47:49 PDT
From:  ervin-tr at cogsci.berkeley.edu (Susan Ervin-Tripp)
Subject:  query re sample English sentences

Date:  Fri, 04 Oct 1996 21:11:42 EDT
From:  BPEARSON at umiami.ir.miami.edu

Dear Linguist List,
I have the opportunity to teach an introductory
cognitive science course for our continuing studies
program.  (keywords: introductory, continuing studies.
Did I say undergraduate?)  I've called the
course "Language and Mind" so it can have a strong
language bias, but I will also try to put the language
questions in a more general context.

I have found more than a few books in our library and
I've seen some syllabi on homepages, but of course none
of that comes with the valuable voice of experience
that I'm hoping those who have attempted such a course
before me will be willing to share.  I suppose also
that there is a cognitive science discussion group.
If there is a FAQ on this, I'd be grateful to know
how to get it.

Thank you in advance.  (I will summarize for the list
as is usual.)

Barbara Zurer Pearson
University of Miami
Bilingualism Study Group