7.1415, Qs: South-East-Asian lgs, "thou", Inclusive/exclusive pronouns

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Oct 11 04:49:17 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1415. Thu Oct 10 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  133

Subject: 7.1415, Qs: South-East-Asian lgs, "thou", Inclusive/exclusive pronouns

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at tam2000.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Thu, 10 Oct 1996 14:36:43 BST
From:  bartos at nytud.hu (bartos)
Subject:  South-East-Asian languages - query

2)
Date:  Thu, 10 Oct 1996 12:35:40 BST
From:  iamario at usc.es (Mario Cal Varela)
Subject:  Qs: pronunciation of "thou"

3)
Date:  Thu, 10 Oct 1996 17:57:49 CDT
From:  kearsy at mail.utexas.edu (Kearsy Cormier)
Subject:  Inclusive vs. exclusive pronouns

Date:  Thu, 10 Oct 1996 14:36:43 BST
From:  bartos at nytud.hu (bartos)

Dear Listers,

I need some info on a handful of South-East-Asian lang's, for
inclusion in an encyclopedia of languages.

The data I need is:

-  the name(s) of the language as used by its speakers, with gloss if
it has any other meaning than the reference to the language itself
-  the name(s) of the people as they use it in refernce to themselves
-  standard literature reference on these languages, incl. reference
grammars, introductory descriptions, coursebooks, important books or
papers on the grammar/phonology/history of the language (provided
they are accessible for a relatively wide public), in English, German,
French, or Russian

The languages in question are:

Khmer
Mon
Palaungic
Karen
Burmese

Plus a side-issue: what is the current stand on the relatedness of
Vietnamese to the Mon-Khmer languages?

Please reply to me directly. Thank you, in advance.

Huba Bartos
Research Institute for Linguistics
Hungarian Academy of Sciences
(bartos at nytud.hu)