7.1422, Qs: Pronoun Usage,Length of morpho-synt. categories,Human/MT

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Oct 11 22:57:22 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1422. Fri Oct 11 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  124

Subject: 7.1422, Qs: Pronoun Usage,Length of morpho-synt. categories,Human/MT

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at tam2000.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Fri, 11 Oct 1996 09:15:15 CDT
From:  LROSENWALD at WELLESLEY.EDU (Larry Rosenwald)
Subject:  a query about pronoun usage in life and literature

2)
Date:  Thu, 10 Oct 1996 18:23:53 PDT
From:  jaret at u.washington.edu
Subject:  length of grammatical elements

3)
Date:  Fri, 11 Oct 1996 09:18:00 CDT
From:  LROSENWALD at WELLESLEY.EDU (Larry Rosenwald)
Subject:  seeking help for a course on human and machine translation

Date:  Fri, 11 Oct 1996 09:15:15 CDT
From:  LROSENWALD at WELLESLEY.EDU (Larry Rosenwald)

Hi - I'm trying to comment on a trait in James Fenimore Cooper's
representations of Native American speech, and would like some help.

The trait in question is this: fairly often in speech said to be
Native American, and still more often in conversations between Native
Americans and European-Americans in English, the third person
"replaces" the first person and still more often the second
person. For example, in _The Last of the Mohicans_, in a conversation
between the the Native American Magua and the European-American Cora
Munro, Cora says,

	"What would le Renard [Magua's French-Canadian epithet is le
	Renard Subtil] say to the daughter of Munro?"

	And Magua answers, "Magua was born a chief and a warrior among
	the red Hurons of the lakes; he saw the suns of twenty summers
	. .  before he ever saw a pale-face etc."

I'm trying to understand the effect of this, and trying to understand
it both linguistically and literarily.  Pretty clearly Cooper didn't
get the idea for this trait from any of his proximate sources about
Native American languages, and it's not characteristic, I think, of
what writers contemporary with Cooper do in representing Native
American speech.  What I've read that's been most useful to me in
understanding the effect of this trait is some essays of Benveniste's,
namely "La nature des pronoms" and "De la subjectivite dans le
langage," but I'd be grateful for other suggestions, and would of
course post a summary if there were enough material.

Thanks in advance, Larry Rosenwald (lrosenwald at wellesley.edu)

P.S.  I'm noticing more and more an analogous trait in political and
athletic oratory - e.g., Bob Dole saying, "anyone who knows Bob Dole
knows that he's a fighter," or Shawn Kemp saying, "Shawn Kemp has got
his game face on tonight."  So whatever is going on in Cooper isn't
going on in Cooper alone.

LR