7.1431, Sum: Inclusive and exclusive pronouns

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Oct 14 01:26:54 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1431. Sun Oct 13 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  58

Subject: 7.1431, Sum: Inclusive and exclusive pronouns

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at tam2000.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Date:  Fri, 11 Oct 1996 15:11:11 MDT
From:  kearsy at mail.utexas.edu (Kearsy Cormier)
Subject:  incl/excl pronouns: summary

Date:  Fri, 11 Oct 1996 15:11:11 MDT
From:  kearsy at mail.utexas.edu (Kearsy Cormier)

Many thanks to those of you who responded to my question about
inclusive and exclusive pronouns.  It turns out that there many, many
languages that do have this distinction.  They include most if not all
of the following language families: Algonquian, Austronesian and
Austroasiatic, among others.  I can supply you with a more complete
list if you are interested.

Also, thanks to those of you who pointed out that American Sign
Language also distinguishes between incl/excl pronouns.  ASL is the
language I am currently studying with regard to this topic.  (I was
curious how the distinction worked in spoken languages.)

Several of you pointed out that some non-standard varieties of
American English carry this incl/excl distinction - e.g. "weuns" and
"usuns".  I was not aware that these forms differed in meaning from
the standard "we" and "us".  Any comments?

-Kearsy

Kearsy Cormier
kearsy at mail.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin