7.1435, Qs: Multilingual national anthems, Serbian Lx, Korean

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Oct 14 05:15:37 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1435. Mon Oct 14 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  144

Subject: 7.1435, Qs: Multilingual national anthems, Serbian Lx, Korean

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at tam2000.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Sun, 13 Oct 1996 14:23:41 CDT
From:  fcosws at prairienet.org (Steven Schaufele)
Subject:  multilingual national anthems & patriotic songs

2)
Date:  Sun, 13 Oct 1996 14:31:00 +0200
From:  ESAVICJ at etf.bg.ac.yu (Jelena Savic)
Subject:  Serbian(Serbo-Croatian) linguistics

3)
Date:  Mon, 14 Oct 1996 11:36:11 +0200
From:  bond at kssalt.cipl.cae.ntt.jp (Francis Bond)
Subject:  Query: Korean Corpora, Korean Reflexives

Date:  Sun, 13 Oct 1996 14:23:41 CDT
From:  fcosws at prairienet.org (Steven Schaufele)

For a possible sociolinguistic research project, i am interested
in finding out about any national/patriotic songs that exist
`officially' in more than one language.  I am familiar with the
two versions of the Canadian national anthem and five versions of
the Swiss national anthem (German, French, Italian, Sursilvan, &
Engadine).  I'm hoping to find more examples of this sort of
thing.  My interest is not limited to officially-defined national
anthems, of which every country theoretically has at most one;
any songs of patriotic content will do.  But they must exist in
officially-recognized versions in more than one language;
informal glosses created for the interest of linguistic minority
groups are not directly relevant to the study i have in mind,
which has to do among other things with issues of language
planning.  I'm interested in hearing about such multilingual
patriotic songs other than the ones already mentioned; i would
especially appreciate it if respondents could provide me with
actual lyrics in the relevant languages, since i'm not confident
of being able to find them myself given the resources at my
disposal.

Best,
Steven
Dr. Steven Schaufele
712 West Washington
Urbana, IL  61801
217-344-8240
fcosws at prairienet.org

**** O syntagmata linguarum liberemini humanarum! ***
*** Nihil vestris privari nisi obicibus potestis! ***