7.1443, Qs: Turkish acq, Syntax texts, Lexicalization, Pragmatics

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Oct 15 14:24:51 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1443. Tue Oct 15 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  203

Subject: 7.1443, Qs: Turkish acq, Syntax texts, Lexicalization, Pragmatics

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at tam2000.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Date:  Mon, 14 Oct 1996 12:56:22 EDT
From:  karin at ruccs.rutgers.edu (Karin Stromswold)
Subject:  Turkish acquisition

2)
Date:  Tue, 15 Oct 1996 16:38:07 -0000
From:  shelly at cyllene.uwa.edu.au (shelly harrison)
Subject:  syntax textbook preferences

3)
Date:  Mon, 14 Oct 1996 10:52:18 -0300
From:  mjserrano at ull.es ("M.J. SerranoI")
Subject:  lexicalization

4)
Date:  Mon, 14 Oct 1996 10:35:45 MDT
From:  jsolano at delfos.ucla.edu.ve (Juan Pablo Solano (UCLA))
Subject:  Pragmatics

Date:  Mon, 14 Oct 1996 12:56:22 EDT
From:  karin at ruccs.rutgers.edu (Karin Stromswold)

Natalie Batman-Ratyosyan, a graduate student working on Turkish
acquisition, and I would like to learn about any recent work
(post-1985) on the acquisition of Turkish as a first language.  We are
particularly interested in research on children's acquisition of
complex verbal morphology (i.e., verb roots with several affixes) and
negation.  Any pointers to the literature would be greatly
appreciated!

We will post a summary of the results of our inquiry.

Natalie Batman-Ratyosyan (nbr at ruccs.rutgers.edu)
Karin Stromswold (karin at ruccs.rutgers.edu

				APPENDIX

Here are some examples of the types of constructions we are interested
in studying:

(1) BakIcI    at-lar -I    	koS-tur-malI-yImIS.
    Keeper    horse-PLUR-ACC    run-CAUS-NEC-PAST:3SG
	"The keeper had to take the horses out for a run."

(2) Ali    Ust-U-nU        giy-in-me-se              mi?
    Ali    top-poss-ACC    dress-REF-NEG-COND:3SG    QUEST
	"Shouldn't Ali dress himself?"

(3) KOpek-ler    oyna-S-mI-yor-lar.
    dog-PLUR	 play-REC-NEG-PROG-3PLUR
	"The dogs are playing with each other."

(4) Cocuk-lar      bahCe-de      it-iS-iyor-lar.
    child-PLUR     garden-LOC    push-REC-PROG-3PLUR
	"The children are pushing each other in the garden."

Key for inflections:

ACC-accusative      CAUS-causative      COND-conditional
NEC-necessitative   LOC-locative        POSS-possessive
REC-reciprocal      REF-reflexive       PROG -present progressive

Key for letters not found in the English alphabet:

C= "c" with a cedille. Is pronounced like "ch" in the English word
	"child"
I= undotted "i". Is pronounced like the "e" in the English word
	"former"
U= a "u" with an umlaut. Is pronounced like the "u" in the French word
	"deja vu"
O = an "o" with an umlaut. Is pronounced like the "eu" in the French
	word "eux"
S= an "s" with a cedille.  Is pronounced like the "sh" in the English
	word "shoe"