7.1460, Qs: English/Mandarin, Corpus databases, Paper by R. Hadel

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Oct 17 18:13:47 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1460. Thu Oct 17 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  125

Subject: 7.1460, Qs: English/Mandarin, Corpus databases, Paper by R. Hadel

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at tam2000.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Date:  Wed, 16 Oct 1996 12:17:18 BST
From:  wcli at vax.ox.ac.uk
Subject:  Q: English/Mandarin loanword phonology

2)
Date:  Wed, 16 Oct 1996 15:29:15 +0200
From:  phi95kal at studserv.uni-leipzig.de (Caulk Nathaniel Mc Re)
Subject:  Corpus databases

3)
Date:  Thu, 17 Oct 1996 14:12:48 +0200
From:  J.Arends at let.uva.nl ("J. Arends")
Subject:  Paper by R. Hadel

Date:  Wed, 16 Oct 1996 12:17:18 BST
From:  wcli at vax.ox.ac.uk

From:	OXVAXD::WCLI         16-OCT-1996 12:15:45.33
To:	WCLI
CC:
Subj:	English/Mandarin loanword phonology

Dear all,

I am looking for references on English/Mandarin and Mandarin/English
loanword phonology, in particular, how speakers of northern varieties
of Chinese accommodate English "j" and "ch" (as in "jam" and
"cheese"), and how speakers of English (or other European languages)
accommodate the Chinese retroflex and alveopalatal consonants in the
phonological system of their mother tongue.

I would be grateful if anyone could point me to work already done on
the subject, or

if you are a native speaker of northern Chinese, whether you use the
Mandarin retroflex consonants for English "j" and "ch", or if you know
of any Mandarin speakers who do, and how common you think it is, or

if you are a native speaker of English (or any other European
language) learning Mandarin Chinese, whether you use the sounds "j"
and "ch" to replace the Mandarin retroflex initials, or if you have
heard this done by other learners of Mandarin, and how common you
think it is.

Thanks!

				Wenchao Li
				Lady Margaret Hall