7.1472, Qs: Lang disparity, F K Erhard Voeltz, Ling and aphasia

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Oct 19 16:42:22 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1472. Sat Oct 19 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  136

Subject: 7.1472, Qs: Lang disparity, F K Erhard Voeltz, Ling and aphasia

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at tam2000.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Date:  Fri, 18 Oct 1996 15:37:56 EDT
From:  mattr at pantheon.yale.edu ("Matt Richardson (GD 2000?)")
Subject:  Query: Language disparity

2)
Date:  Fri, 18 Oct 1996 14:49:15 BST
From:  cassian at worldnet.net ("Cassian BRACONNIER")
Subject:  DR. F. K. Erhard VOELTZ (from Linguistique Africaine)

3)
Date:  Thu, 17 Oct 1996 21:04:54 EDT
From:  EAELDER at VM.SC.EDU (Elizabeth Elder)
Subject:       Programs in Linguistics and Aphasia

Date:  Fri, 18 Oct 1996 15:37:56 EDT
From:  mattr at pantheon.yale.edu ("Matt Richardson (GD 2000?)")

I recently this message from a colleague in Mexico.  I am not
particularly familiar with the literature on this subject.  If there
is anyone out there who is, I am sure Daniel Robles Alvarez would
appreciate your input.  Please send replies to:
drobles at infux.mxl.cetys.mx.  Thank you for your assistance.

Query follows:
I am currently doing NAFTA related research CETYS University in Baja
California, Mexico.  I have a program that prepares and sends Mexican
Engineers to the U.S. Engineering Competency Exams required to become
registered as a Professional Engineer.  Our work is currently edging
up to the top levels of the negotiation for NAFTA professionals and we
are very happy about this.

What I wish to do is determine a language disparity factor for
engineering competency exams that would predict and quantify the
disadvantage, if any, that a native Spanish speaker would have on an
English language engineering exam.  The heavy use of charts, graphs
and equations on these exams plus a relatively high degree of
bilinguality in the Border area have rendered my humble efforts
inconclusive.  I will use this information in the formulation of an
argument for or against identical, but native language, exams for all
NAFTA engineers.  This is a very important issue for many people and I
would appreciate any advice that you or someone that you may know
could give me.

Daniel Robles Alvarez
Facultad de Ingenieria
CETYS University, Mexicali, Baja California
Mexico