7.1482, Disc: Psychologism in Linguistics

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Oct 22 10:31:26 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1482. Tue Oct 22 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  195

Subject: 7.1482, Disc: Psychologism in Linguistics

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at tam2000.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Editor for this issue: aristar at tam2000.tamu.edu (Anthony Rodrigues Aristar)

Date:  Sun, 20 Oct 1996 12:29:03 BST
From:  mkusch at tattoo.ed.ac.uk (Martin Kusch)
Subject:  7.1478, Disc: Psychologism in Linguistics

2)
Date:  Sun, 20 Oct 1996 12:02:42 EDT
From:  edward.galligan at wmich.edu ("Edward L. Galligan")
Subject:  Re: 7.1478, Disc: Psychologism in Linguistics

3)
Date:  Sun, 20 Oct 1996 21:38:45 EDT
From:  rbeard at bucknell.edu (Robert Beard)

4)
Date:  Mon, 21 Oct 1996 15:12:38 CDT
From:  safrisch at indiana.edu (Stefan A Frisch)

Date:  Sun, 20 Oct 1996 12:29:03 BST
From:  mkusch at tattoo.ed.ac.uk (Martin Kusch)

On October 19th, Professor Shaumyan wrote:

> As a result of effective critique of psychologism in logic and
> mathematics by Frege, Husserl, and many other logicians,
> mathematicians, and philosophers, nobody now contends that psychology
> constitutes the basis of logic and mathematics. Nowadays logicians and
> mathematicians understand that psychologism in logic and mathematics
> is a fallacy. Psychologism in linguistics is a fallacy similar to
> psychologism in logic and mathematics. Still this fallacy persists
> among linguists.

Two comments:

(1) In suggesting that Frege's and Husserl's anti-psychologistic
arguments carry over into linguistics, Prof. Shaumyan has been pre-
ceded by J.J. Katz (and a number of authors, including Chomsky him-
self) have replied to Katz. (See J.J. Katz, _Language and Other
Abstract Objects_, Totawa, N.J.: Rowman & Littlewood, 1981.)

(2) It seems to me that Prof. Shaumyan overestimates the extent to
which Frege's and Husserl's arguments against psychologism are
accepted amongst philosophers today. For a summary of the case
against their arguments, see e.g. M. Kusch, _Psychologism_,
London: Routledge 1995, Chap. 4, and Appendix 2. Appendix 2
is not part of 'physical' book itself, but can be accessed over
the internet:
http://www.routledge.com/rcenters/philres/psy_app2.txt

Dr Martin Kusch

Max-Planck-Institut fuer psychologische Forschung
Leopoldstrasse 24, D-80802 Muenchen

Phone: +49 (0)89 38 60 22 33
Fax:   +49 (0)89 38 60 22 52
Email: Kusch at mpipf-muenchen.mpg.de

And:
Science Studies Unit, University of Edinburgh
21 Buccleuch Place, Edinburgh, EH8 9LN

Phone: +44 (0)131 650 4257
Fax:   +44 (0)131 650 6886
Email: mkusch at tattoo.ed.ac.uk